JosephThomas

Kitchen Island

64 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

The place I go to has plenty of FAS walnut, lots of nice stuff to choose from, just pricey.

Is it actually fas or is it current walnut grading standards fas?

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Is it actually fas or is it current walnut grading standards fas?

You know I haven't sat in there and measured and stuff so I can't say for certain...but I would say a good portion of it is, and the rest seems to be at least select quality by my eye.

Btw, good article on walnut grades from Shannon, for anyone that's interested: http://www.mcilvain.com/walnut-grades-explained/

Glad to see you are making progress !

1 person likes this

looking great! That top is going to really pop once finished! 

1 person likes this

It looks awesome, JT. You did a great job on the grain match and the glue up. Nice

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Looks great! I'm with shaneymack on the grain match.

1 person likes this

Looking great! You did an outstanding job grain matching the walnut for the top!

1 person likes this

Man I forgot about this project! Looking great!

1 person likes this

Got the clamps off and cut the ends closer to final length...the glue lines are nice and tight

wGGHTtB.png

Little teaser of what it should look like when finished up:

vZ0umkm.png

Here are some shots of it resting in place as I tried to decide how much overhang to leave...the wife and I kept going back and forth, both a little too afraid it would end up too short, but here's what we settled on:

gpVzm63.png

3xiiLMa.png

l2WuW5m.png

yyHHx1F.png?1

Also put together some little pull out shelves that will go in the bottom to help organize that mess below :) Just cutting more of that pre-made pre-finished 1/2" ply my lumber yard sells, for the convenience so I can finish this in short order.

op3naix.png

XpoETRO.png

y5o7Ryu.png

(still need to cut the bottoms).

Need to make one more crosscut with the tracksaw to get the final length of the top, then I can do some cleanup with the smoother on the top face, add a slight roundover, and get to the finish.

2 people like this

Overhang on the top looks perfect. How are you going to finish the top?

Overhang on the top looks perfect. How are you going to finish the top?

I haven't done test pieces yet, but I was thinking of doing wipe on poly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this