Gun Rack

..Kev

The piece looks great, but one thought - what are the local laws on displaying firearms? Up here (Canada) it would be illegal unless the gun had a trigger lock on it, which would take away from the aesthetic of an antique (at least in my eyes).

The way museums get around that up here is by putting weapons behind glass. And rendering them inert, which I think is a shame, but I don't write the rules. 

3 minutes ago, Doomwolf said:

The piece looks great, but one thought - what are the local laws on displaying firearms? Up here (Canada) it would be illegal unless the gun had a trigger lock on it, which would take away from the aesthetic of an antique (at least in my eyes).

The way museums get around that up here is by putting weapons behind glass. And rendering them inert, which I think is a shame, but I don't write the rules. 

This will be in a private residence without children.  Perfectly legal here to display firearms any way you chose.  I could leave all my firearms laying on the counter if I want.

Besides, from that era, it would take you about 4 minutes just to load it ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Doomwolf said:

I just know all 50 states have their own laws and some are more restrictive than others. Doesn't matter how long it takes to load if it violates some bureaucratic rule. 

There are also different rules for museum and display pieces.  Besides all that, I was commissioned to build a rack not interpret the applicable laws.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIODS said:

There are also different rules for museum and display pieces.  Besides all that, I was commissioned to build a rack not interpret the applicable laws.

True, but no guarantee of the client seeing it that way if something goes wrong. That is what I am getting at; should have mentioned it up front. 

I do like the piece, but the rules came to me first as I'm fresh off my Fire Arms Safety Course and waiting for the paperwork to get processed so I can get a shotgun and go skeet shooting. 

1 minute ago, Doomwolf said:

True, but no guarantee of the client seeing it that way if something goes wrong. That is what I am getting at; should have mentioned it up front. 

I do like the piece, but the rules came to me first as I'm fresh off my Fire Arms Safety Course and waiting for the paperwork to get processed so I can get a shotgun and go skeet shooting. 

That's the problem in the world today, people are just too sue happy!

I don't take on any liability with any project that I build for clients.  One reason I don't build baby cribs ;)

1 minute ago, Doomwolf said:

but the rules came to me first as I'm fresh off my Fire Arms Safety Course and waiting for the paperwork to get processed

And As a certified instructor to teach that course,  they should have mentioned that individual laws vary by state and local municipality.