Star Wars VII

rodger.

My wife took my middle son to see it.  they said it was amazing.  I dont understand sci fi/fantasy so I stayed home with the baby and my 11 year old son (who, like me, lacks the imagination for fantasy films).  

It did have the typical star wars "cheese", but it was still great.

I agree about the uninventive storyline, but its typical.  How many movies can you name that follow the " hero's journey " format?  The lion king, star wars, the good dinosaur, and many others follow the same format.

It just made me sad to see Harrison Ford so saggy and old, and I didn't even recognize Carrie Fisher at first. Her face was so botoxed it wouldn't move. Makes me feel ancient. I thought bringing back a lot of 'practical' effects, like puppet / costume aliens vs. CGI, was a good move. The obligatory 'Dark Side' villian was a bit too pretty to be all that villianus. The 'Darths' are supposed to keep their helmets on, dangit!

Part of me really loved the movie. And the other part of me cannot separate myself from all the flaws. Especially ones that include a complete lack of disregard for physics. I'm totally one of those asshats going "Uh, no, every force push would have an equal and opposite push on the force user, not cool bro." I let that go, but the thing the plot revolves around - that was just absurd on another level for me. 

49 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Part of me really loved the movie. And the other part of me cannot separate myself from all the flaws. Especially ones that include a complete lack of disregard for physics. I'm totally one of those asshats going "Uh, no, every force push would have an equal and opposite push on the force user, not cool bro." I let that go, but the thing the plot revolves around - that was just absurd on another level for me. 

Two words: Exhaust Ports.

https://youtu.be/agcRwGDKulw

you really need to suspend your belief when watching sci fic.. lots of simple things people over look, like the fact that there is no oxygen in space, and therefor no flame filled explosions!.  or the fact that people can't lasers unless they have something to reflect off of, so no cool blaster beams either.

50 minutes ago, Pug said:

you really need to suspend your belief when watching sci fic.. lots of simple things people over look, like the fact that there is no oxygen in space, and therefor no flame filled explosions!.  or the fact that people can't lasers unless they have something to reflect off of, so no cool blaster beams either.

...or sound in space...or self-contained-lengths-of-plasma (light sabers)...or the fact that "blasters" emit sound at all and are a projectile...or the entire usage of the Force. Yeah, lots of stuff that is very much fantasy - just gotta roll with it.

All that being said, I thought it was a great start. There are lots of questions that I look forward to seeing answered in the continuing films.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

Two words: Exhaust Ports.

https://youtu.be/agcRwGDKulw

I'm fine with exhaust ports. I can't really explain in detail what bothered me. But it pretty well starts  with it's fuel source and the assumption of power that was need to do it's tasks. And how ludicrous the entire thing is. 

2 hours ago, Pug said:

There are scientifically accurate (or close enough) sci-fi films/tv shows though. 2001 was pretty well done. I mean, I only watched about half of it so far but I read the book and it was accurate there. Interstellar I remember being pretty decent, as it should, considering it was based on a treatment from a well-known physicist. Stargate SG1, the tv show, was usually pretty good science-wise. 

I mean, people see a scientifically accurate story and maybe don't care and get bored. I get excited. 

wtnhighlander said it best "space alien fantasy" is probably a better definition. Anyway, I consider most of my problem with Ep 7 to be nitpicking. I do wish the story wasn't recycled for sure though. But I feel like they were well aware and just didn't care, they wanted to give SW fans the same experience you got the first time you watched it - and they succeeded for a great many. I'm looking forward to the next several hundred movies that are sure to come out.

On December 31, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Mike. said:

My wife took my middle son to see it.  they said it was amazing.  I dont understand sci fi/fantasy so I stayed home with the baby and my 11 year old son (who, like me, lacks the imagination for fantasy films).  

Glad to know I have company. However, I've promised my wife I will take her tomorrow to see it. I've seen part of one and walked out before it was over and smoked a cigar. Tomorrow, I'll just buy a large bag of $30 popcorn and constantly scratch my crotch to keep myself amused?

Just got back with the two kids. They both loved it, as did I.

Yeah yeah.. plots not perfect, acting wasn't perfect, science wasn't perfect... Who cares!?!??

It's a damn good movie, and an even better series. I have loved every movie for different reasons. Yes, even episode 1.

I felt like a little kid watching the opening crawl. I could not stop smiling. It reminded me of everything I loved about the other movies the first time I saw them. It gave me a chance to forget about the daily issues and troubles. For a solid two hours I can sit back and enjoy a movie without caring if it was perfect.

• Like 2

I just bought tickets to see it again tomorrow, first time for my wife. Played poker with my regular group last night and not a single person there besides me had been less than three times. Despite any flaws, I hope it breaks the worldwide ticket sales record. 

• Like 1

went to see it last night in IMAX-3D ... it was the first time I have seen a movie in 3D ... and I hated it. The whole 3D thing strained my eyes, looked odd, and made all the action flickery. I had to take the glasses off and watch it with that strange out-of-focus double vision of a 3D film without the polarizing glasses. So I didn't get to enjoy any of the cinematography ... that just left the plot for me to enjoy ... which was essentially just a re-make of the original star-wars plot; business as usual in the galaxy far far away.

Still it was a great night out with my 12-year old friend, and that's what counts.

1 hour ago, h3nry said:

went to see it last night in IMAX-3D ... it was the first time I have seen a movie in 3D ... and I hated it. The whole 3D thing strained my eyes, looked odd, and made all the action flickery. I had to take the glasses off and watch it with that strange out-of-focus double vision of a 3D film without the polarizing glasses. So I didn't get to enjoy any of the cinematography ... that just left the plot for me to enjoy ... which was essentially just a re-make of the original star-wars plot; business as usual in the galaxy far far away.

Still it was a great night out with my 12-year old friend, and that's what counts.

I hate 3D too. Was trying to find an IMAX that wasn't 3D to take my wife to today and couldn't find one. 

I saw an explanation of the reason many adults can't take 3D movies, but kids love 'em. Can't remember all the details, but it had something to do with with the brain's ability to interpret an image that is 'virtually' focussed in free space, when it really exists on a fixed, flat plane. As we age, we learn to 'correct' the wierdness out of that abnormal situation, which makes it difficult to accept when we try to force it in a 3D movie. Kids haven't learned to force the image focus into a 'normal' frame of reference, so it works better for them. Personally, I can't stand 3D movies.