California Approved Minwax Poly Works for Wipe-on Finish

Robby W

When I was ready to finish the two tables for my church, I wanted to use a poly finish for durability. So after listening to all 290+ episodes of WoodTalk and researching Fine Woodworking magazine's finish test, I went to my local Woodcraft store and asked for some General Finishes Armor-Seal, only to be told: "Sorry, we can't sell that in California because of the air pollution regulations". Rats. OK, let's try the second place finish: Minwax Wipe-On Poly. I went to Home Depot near my house and searched high and low for a can of it. Then I asked the paint department head if he had any in stock, only to hear a familiar refrain: "Sorry, we can't sell that in California because of the air pollution regulations". Double rats!

Not wanting to be an air polluter and being a good Boy Scout, I didn't go online and order a can of either finish. Instead, I grabbed a quart of Minwax Fast Drying Poly.

5686161347223_MinwaxFastDryingPoly(492x6

I wanted a wipe-on poly, but the instructions said I had to use a brush. I thought I would dilute it 50-50 with mineral spirits. Then I opened the can and noticed that it had a rather low viscosity, so I mixed it up and poured some in a tray. Grapping a clean T-shirt rag, I dipped it into the Poly and wiped it on. It worked beautifully! Whoohoo! The directions said I should apply a coat, wait 4 hours and sand with 220 grit. Thinking that would take forever to build a decent film, I applied two coats, sanded and added a final coat. Perfect! I am really pleased with the results.  I didn't see a lot of witness rings from the sanding either.

This probably isn't something I am going to use for my very best projects, but for a quick mop-and-go finish, it works well. And it really does dry enough to handle the piece in less than 4 hours, even in 50 degree weather, (hey, its the middle of the winter here in San Diego. Drops all the way into the 40's at night!) I did learn that you only have about 5 minutes to work applied finish and then it sets up too much to work it any more.

Californians, give it a shot. I think you will like it.

Man, that's too bad.  Minwax wipe on poly is my go to finish. Dries hard and clear. incredibly forgiving. Really brings out cherry and walnut. Also, it has very low odor so I'm not sure what kind of VOCs it has.  I've yet to find a water based poly that comes close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...