I see spots and I'm disappointed

Jon T Knisk

Had gathered some salvaged wood from an old dinning room table to build a chair for #2 grand daughter. Just a quick project wasn't going for a pristine chair. After cutting, sanding and assembly I applied Dark Walnut stain to match the refurbished roll top desk I finished for her.  I let the satin sit for a while and wiped off to reveal a spotty finish. like this. Does anyone have a probable cause, to avoid this in the future. At this point the Grand Daughter can choose to keep the spots and call the chair, Cheetah or it gets painted.  

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Edited by Jon T Knisk
In completed statement about this!

Thanks for the advise, I will suggest this to Daugher and see if she wants that done for my Grand daughter. She may opt to do this at a later date 

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

Looks like there was still some old finish or oil contamination on the wood. That is a common issue with salvage wood. I would strip that back and start with a wash coat of shellac. 

Thinking back several years ago, I had reduced the thickness of this wood from 3/4 to 1/2 via a planer, for the remainder of the wood I'll treat it as you suggested

Thanks