Simple assembly table

estesbubba

Decided that a 48x72 assembly table would be useful before starting on our platform king bed with storage. The base is around 38x62 and made with pre-finished birch plywood which is good enough for a shop project. I made my own leg levelers using eye bolts and hard maple which will allow the table to be raised between 32 and 36". The top will be a torsion box made out of 1/2" MDF with maple edging. 

Any tips on how to spray a 48x72 top without having Shaq-length arms? I plan on using semi-gloss water based poly since the base has some gloss. 

Nuts epoxied into the levelers. 

EC7EF881-4A1D-41A1-9659-C72C7895542F_zps

Completed base leveled to floor. Each section is wide enough to fit systainers. My birthday is in a couple of days if anyone wants to help me fill them :D

D2B0E932-8D42-412F-B40E-DD3FA39D9197_zps

Just going to build the torsion box on the base and call it good enough. Cut the top and bottom 1" oversized. 

751711F7-E05E-4B22-BBAE-94612D7E75EB_zps

Oh, and cutting MDF with no dust using the Festool TS is awesome. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

That came out great Mike.  Are you going to put some paste wax on the top?  I did on mine a dried glue doesn't stick.

I thought about putting paste wax on it but didn't know if the poly alone would keep glue from sticking? Since I'll clamp boards to it for breaking down and also jigs I didn't want it super slick. 

• 6 months later...