Tips for using Magnolia?

DeadHead

It's not really a common species used for furniture because it's an ornamental tree (small) and there's not much commercial availability (as in, none, that I'm aware of).  So I'd just treat it like any other...make sure it's dried properly and start a hackin'.  My guess is it's on the soft side.

11 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

No tips but would like to see a picture of the wood planed down if you get a chance.

I agree. I had a mayhaw tree die and sliced the widest part and came up with the neatest small pieces for a box. Who would have thought it! As you get older, wood takes on a whole new meaning?

• Like 2

All a matter of taste, DeadHead. IMO, those boards have great character, but it would be a challenge to use them in a tabletop without the term 'rustic' being applied. Some of the guys with more asian-influenced design experience (@Eric.?) might offer some suggestions on how to incorporate it into something more formal.

Maybe if you used the magnolia for the center of the table and added 2 equal strips of a lighter wood down each side plus a lighter breadboard to give the appearance of a light frame around the magnolia? 

Use the lighter wood for the legs and magnolia for a center brace to bring some symmetry .

• Like 2

I've hear of sunken logs being salvaged and used for furniture, and some going for big money, the first thing that comes to my mind is how do you dry something that is complete water without splitting the hell out of the lumber? Seems like it would have to sit sealed for years, be cut and sealed, then sit again forever.  I can't imagine a kiln could dry it slow enough to not make it brittle.

This ignores the biology. Trees are big straws. Sunken logs are not much wetter than live trees except for the outer bark if it is not raining. There is a lot beyond that I don't know but wonder. Do the sugars dissolve in the water and get carried away? Does this eliminate some crystalline formation in the drying process? There will still be time to air dry and then kiln, but it does not appear to be any longer than normal.