Nickelback..err Nicholbo!

Al Capwn

13 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

I will take some snaps of the progress along the way.

This is something that I found to be a challenge.  Wanting to photograph a project as you go was a new element to the work flow.  And then trying to remember to do it at worthwhile turning points in the project.  

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see what you end up with. I'm going through the same debate right now and am currently leaning towards a small 5 foot roubo-ish bench (as Eric put it, I may build a Glue-bo), mainly because I didn't want to lose storage underneath to the skirts. Good luck!

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks like you got some good clear material, Al! That's pretty challengung from HD lumber!

8 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Yea Al, there would be no chance of getting one stick at the local HD that looked like the stuff you got there in your lumber toting van

For what it is worth, there are some knots but I have strategically placed them on the bottom side, but I went through the entire stack (did you know moving ~40 2x12x12' boards is good exercise?) to pick out the best of the bunch. Then I tried to pick the clearest boards for the top. The 2x12x20' selection looked even better, but I didn't really need the extra length.

9:00AM - Time to get to work! Here is the glue up (sorry, these pictures came out a little blurry).20160110_083632.thumb.jpg.ee6be3036b2403

and after about 5 minutes of planing with the jack:

20160110_084858.thumb.jpg.6e98169e206ed0

At this point it is just lather, rinse, repeat until that glue-up is nice and flat. Then we need to check for twist and make sure we aren't turning the top into some weird and warped surface. Really, we just need to get it "flat enough" that we can shove this bad boy through the planer.

Wifey brought me some coffee and a breakfast sammich, so I guess I shall take a break and om-nom-nom before going back at it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

The 2x12x20' selection looked even better,

C Schwarz mentioned some where that he gets 16 footers when he buy the SYP because, like you said, they are usually in better shape then the shorter stuff.

Looks like you have it going Al.

• Like 1

6:30PM

Ok, one trip to Home Depot and lots of milling later, and we have the other half of the benchtop glued up. Now, here is some advice and a little trick that I completely and utterly failed to use when I was gluing up the first panel. For the trick, use a speedball roller (called a brayer) to spread the glue evenly along the face of a board. This ensures that the entire surface is coated without excessive squeeze out. I should have done that the first go around.

20160110_175624.jpg.8ae17b80526d43a39c79

Also, I don't know why I didn't do this the first time, but just clamp parallel clamps on the top and let the other end rest on the saw horses. This ended up in a much truer surface, which means a lot less planing work to do. So with that out of the way, here is the second glue-up in the works.

20160110_175636.thumb.jpg.e1b02094d96f0f

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

Two words: Scrub Plane. For the uninitiated, a scrub plane is a hand plane designed to just hog material away with reckless abandon. It isn't about glassy smooth ooh-ahh surfaces. Forget that. It is about leveling material when you redneck glue up a panel and you have planks of all kinds of heights going on that resembles something like Austin Power's teeth.

Well, it just so happens that you can convert this humble $10 plane into a workable scrub. Which, sans the worksharp, I did. It is just a roughing plane. Now, if you are smart and want to save yourself a good workout, you will take your time to pass the edges over your powered jointer and then take some time to get a really close level on at least one side of your glue up. That will save you time flattening boards that get out of whack, and also will potentially save you material to keep from planing away to the lowest set board.

Good call on making that scrub plane.  Mine is converted from a sloppy #5.  Saves that $100 to spend on other things at LN/LV :)

• Like 1

Monday Recap

After all the work milling up the top, I was left with 2 1/8" of a laminated top. Now, that isn't a whole lot more than the ~ 1 1/2" I would have obtained if I just tossed a raw board on the top. I'd like more mass. In hindsight, I should have ripping a board into three sections instead of four. Now, you can add blocking underneath for hold fasts for dog holes, which helps, and I think I am fine in terms of required depth.

However, because I cannot do math well, I actually have extra pieces of 2x12x6' that I can use. Hows that for an error in my favor?!

So, the question is: Can I just flatten that joker and glue the face of it to the bottom of my lamination? Would that break any "wood movement" rules or cause any problems? I don't think it is really that much more different than adding blocking material underneath. Could I have saved a boat-load of time just in milling 2x 2x12s and gluing them on top of each other - face to face, or is there a reason that people make lamination the way they do?