How come I get ......

Robby W

As a nooby to this site, apparently there are some rules or functions I don't know about. Sometimes when I click the Like This button, I get an error message saying I can't give reputation to that person? At first, I thought it was because I started the topic, but it seems to be random. Is there something I need to learn?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Robby I have had this issue before...I thought at the time it happened if I clicked the like button 2x before it had a chance to complete the first action.

Edit: seems easily reproducible for me, just have to click it twice before it changes to the 'unlike' button. As a fellow software engineer I must say, nothing exposes all the flaws in your code like a user base that actually uses the product :) The poor guys that made the forum probably have a special love/hate thing going for us...

I just got to work and looked this topic up. Although I have the same browser, the O/S is Windows 7, again with the latest patches. I noticed that mat60's Like I clicked this morning shows a Like, even though I got an error. Clicking Like on Cliff's post worked without problem. Weird!

Dang, this is making me feel like a Valley Girl. I think I'll go shopping or hang out at the mall or like, something!

That just means it's not getting a response from the server or it's mishandling it. My guess is clicking the "like" button generates an ajax request to a webservice then returns a json result that is parsed with confirmation. Since at that point it's handled by code on your machine to update that button to "liked" there are a number of things that can be going wrong. It can be solved by anything as simple as clearing cache, disabling addons, or since you are dealing with IE - reinstalling the OS. I find the latter to be very unlikely. But I bet you are throwing a javascript error and can't see it.

5 hours ago, Cliff said:

...Since at that point it's handled by code on your machine to update that button to "liked" there are a number of things that can be going wrong. It can be solved by anything as simple as clearing cache, disabling addons, or since you are dealing with IE - reinstalling the OS. I find the latter to be very unlikely. But I bet you are throwing a javascript error and can't see it.

It has nothing to do with his browser or OS, none of that will help. If you check out the network activity in the dev tool, the page is sending multiple AJAX calls and only the first one returns a 200, all others return a 403. If the developers fix the javascript so it changes the button at the beginning of the event handler rather than after it will take care of the issue by not allowing multiple AJAX calls to be made.

Robby, if you are careful not to click the button twice, you won't see the problem anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

It has nothing to do with his browser or OS, none of that will help. If you check out the network activity in the dev tool, the page is sending multiple AJAX calls and only the first one returns a 200, all others return a 403. If the developers fix the javascript so it changes the button at the beginning of the event handler rather than after it will take care of the issue by not allowing multiple AJAX calls to be made.

Robby, if you are careful not to click the button twice, you won't see the problem anymore.

Bah. Who has time to check network activity? I was on this site to do things that don't require debugging. :) I was taking a moment to myself in the middle of writing my own self-exploding JS. 

23 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Bah. Who has time to check network activity? I was on this site to do things that don't require debugging. :) I was taking a moment to myself in the middle of writing my own self-exploding JS. 

I wouldn't call that debugging, at least with Firebug, it's so easy that even I can do it LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

I wouldn't call that debugging, at least with Firebug, it's so easy that even I can do it LOL

Sure it is. Especially compared to idle speculation. I did zero research, and barely thought. As far from debugging as one can get. 

I mean, not that I have Firebug at work. Welcome to the military, they are so secure they cut me off from Oracle with a new policy. Was out of commission for two days. That was after they cut my access off to the building, and to active directory. But that's another story. A boring one.