Rogowski Box with Hand Cut Marquetry

wouldwurker

Killer job Vinny. Xacto knife inlays are a rather time consuming process.

Tom - Thanks. I disagree - it's super easy once you get the hang of it. The bird was only my second marquetry overlay effort and only probably had about 8 hours of aggregate time put in.....a design with less 'sections' would go much quicker..... this one took a bit longer for me as I really went into extreme detail with the branches. I'll take some more close-up photos but in areas where the branch forks off I cut into separate pieces so the grain goes in the correct directions... Plus the feet wrapping around the branch was a bitch!.... Compared to a scroll saw, your hand has a natural angle when you cut, so the bevels are automatic...I particularly enjoy it because with a self-healing mat, an exacto knife, a cheap disposal veneer chisel (fits an exacto), a cheap ruler with a slight burnished edge, a cheap tiny paintbrush, a film canister of glue, and a film canister of water...you have all the tools you need for less than $25. Buy a $20 veneer pack and you're off to the races. Best part for me is that I can do it upstairs while (sitting) and watching TV with my wife and because every piece is done one by one - you can dedicate 30 minutes here and there. Plus, the end result absolutely justifies the work and time. .......I'd like to build myself a marquetry desk (like the one a cartoonist might have) in my next house next to a sunny window.

Thanks Ross. I learned from a woman named Jane Burke. She has a DVD published ....If you look up the 'window method' of marquetry it's pretty much based on that except that slightly watered-down glue is applied to the edges of each piece as they get fitted in. The next piece isn't cut until the previous piece has been glued. The key benefit is being able to lineup the veneer under the window to find the absolute best color and grain.

• Like 1