The Biggest 'J' since Up in Smoke

wouldwurker

Here's how this walnut started out

3c65d77847461dd1a2a217a11559571e.jpg

Steve built a client a built-in years ago to replace the one they had that was painted white. Underneath the white paint...beautiful unsteamed Walnut. Laminated two panels to get to about 6/4. Finish is Watco Butcher Block. That's a quarter for scale ...it's going to get wall mounted above the bed...or something like that. It's for my wife.

088aa73ad08458f8df35fe47e5a8003b.jpg

de5d7c53bc897d23a7e20d4dfe3b0259.jpg

• Like 1

Meh, I see those colors in steamed stuff all the time.  Dollars to donuts I put two pieces of walnut in front of 1,000 woodworkers, 999 of them wouldn't be able to tell me which was steamed and which wasn't.  But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...

Unless walnut is harvested from Uncle Leroy's farm, chances are it's been steamed.  There's not much commercially available walnut that doesn't get the hotbox.

9 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Meh, I see those colors in steamed stuff all the time.  Dollars to donuts I put two pieces of walnut in front of 1,000 woodworkers, 999 of them wouldn't be able to tell me which was steamed and which wasn't.  But if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...

Unless walnut is harvested from Uncle Leroy's farm, chances are it's been steamed.  There's not much commercially available walnut that doesn't get the hotbox.

Didn't know anyone else knew Leroy! Just got some nice walnut from him!

I don't know man...at some point it was in an old house. Then somebody painted it white. I don't know when lumber yards first started steaming walnut for color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice J.

FTR I wouldn't let the wife hang a "J" above the bed.

It'll be the only thing well hung in the bedroom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

I don't know man...at some point it was in an old house. Then somebody painted it white. I don't know when lumber yards first started steaming walnut for color.

If it was originally salvaged from an old house then you're probably right that it was never steamed.  But my point remains...I don't think the average woodworker can usually tell the difference.  I've looked at two pieces side by side - one steamed and one not - and I'll be damned if they weren't as identical as two boards of the same species can be.  And I see those iridescent purples and creams in steamed walnut all the time.  I know people say that steaming can leech the color out of the heartwood, but I just haven't had that experience, and I've seen a TON of boards in the last few years working at the yard - air dried, kiln dried, kiln dried and steamed.

I've always followed the mantra just because everyone else says it...but I'm putting my foot down and changing my tune...if you can't see a difference, there is no difference.  At least as far as I'm concerned.  Steaming definitely darkens the sapwood noticeably...otherwise, I don't know.  Can't really see it.

Kilns will toughen the fibers of every species and make hand tooling slightly less enjoyable...otherwise I challenge anyone to a blind taste test.

9 minutes ago, Eric. said:

If it was originally salvaged from an old house then you're probably right that it was never steamed.  But my point remains...I don't think the average woodworker can usually tell the difference.  I've looked at two pieces side by side - one steamed and one not - and I'll be damned if they weren't as identical as two boards of the same species can be.  And I see those iridescent purples and creams in steamed walnut all the time.  I know people say that steaming can leech the color out of the heartwood, but I just haven't had that experience, and I've seen a TON of boards in the last few years working at the yard - air dried, kiln dried, kiln dried and steamed.

I've always followed the mantra just because everyone else says it...but I'm putting my foot down and changing my tune...if you can't see a difference, there is no difference.  At least as far as I'm concerned.  Steaming definitely darkens the sapwood noticeably...otherwise, I don't know.  Can't really see it.

Kilns will toughen the fibers of every species and make hand tooling slightly less enjoyable...otherwise I challenge anyone to a blind taste test.

maybe it is due to something other than steaming.  but the stuff I buy retail is light gray and mushy looking.   The stuff i buy dry kilned from a sawyer is more purple and black.   Both are kiln dried.   Maybe it is the growing conditions.    An oil based finish brings a lot of the color back.  

If I wasn't so lazy I'd post a bunch of my walnut projects and have people try to guess which are steamed and which aren't.  But I'm too lazy.  Suffice it to say, no one would get it right because you can't tell the difference.  I don't know what they do to your walnut Mike, but the steamed stuff we have looks fine for the most part.  Some boards are better than others but that's true with any stack of lumber.

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

If I wasn't so lazy I'd post a bunch of my walnut projects and have people try to guess which are steamed and which aren't.  But I'm too lazy.  Suffice it to say, no one would get it right because you can't tell the difference.  I don't know what they do to your walnut Mike, but the steamed stuff we have looks fine for the most part.  Some boards are better than others but that's true with any stack of lumber.

I am pretty sure I can tell the difference before finish goes on.  After applying an oil based finishes much, if not all, of the color comes back.   

I will admit that the whole steamed vs. unsteamed walnut debate is out of hand and another example of woodworkers chasing that last 1% that no one will ever notice.  It is up there with:

• Arm R Seal vs. Minwax
  • Scraping back dye to pop grain
  • any finish schedule with more than 3 steps
  • honduran vs. cuban
  • pallet wood vs. barn wood
  • planing vs. sanding
  • Granat vs. Rubin abrasives 

On 1/14/2016 at 9:00 AM, Eric. said:

My crib build from last year contained both steamed and not steamed walnut.  The not steamed came from a co-worker who has a mill on the side.  I didn't ask him specifically, but I am 99% sure it was not steamed.  Poor planning meant I had to make a run to St Charles Hardwoods for some extra material, I am sure their walnut was steamed.  I don't remember where the wood from the dealer went.  Looking at the crib in it's completed state, I couldn't pick out which is which to save my life.  When I was building it I remember being impressed that the woods matched so well.

• 4 weeks later...