How to spray this 48x72 top?

estesbubba

I just need to flush trim the MDF torsion box and add maple edging then I'm ready to finish the top. With the top being 48x72 I don't think my arm will be able to do a full passes across the top. Any suggestions to how to approach something this big? Do I do half passes of 2' doing one side first then the other? I figure this is the perfect project to practice something this big. I'll be spraying waterborrne semi-gloss poly which I normally use a 1.0mm tip. I didn't know if for something like this a 1.4mm tip might be better to get more down and slow the initial drying? 

1AA587E4-81BC-40C1-ACC7-EB5B5070A93A_zps

The top isn't attached and I thought about vertical but then wouldn't be able to spray one of the edges. I am using waterborne but want to spray it because this is the perfect top to practice on since it's a shop project. I also want to spray about a 1' from the edge under it since there is a 6" overhang around the base. 

I might just put the gun in my hand and do a dry practice run and see how far I can reach. If I can't do full passes then I'll just try doing one half then the other and see if the overlaps causes problems. 

Looks good to me !  

I have been spraying waterbournes for at least 20 years now with HVLP. It's much easier to use now and it holds up better.  I was taught when spraying doors and tabletops to focus on getting good coverage on the edges and corners cause the surfaces are kinda obvious. Lightly break the edges and corners so the film can wrap around. If left sharp the surface tension pulls the finish back and leaves an easily damaged edge.