Threaded Inserts vs Threaded Wood Holes

Immortan D

I've been using threaded inserts a lot on my woodworking jigs, mostly EZ inserts but also t-nuts on occasions. The sizes I use the most are 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8".

Now earlier today, I was reading the "Complete Vise Instructions" manual for the Benchcrafted  Classic Leg Vise (available from this page) and at page 12 I found this:

The holding power of machine screws in wood is about the same as using a threaded insert, and you don’t have to buy the inserts. It’s also a great technique for making jigs and knock-down joints. 

Thoughts? Is it really "about" the same? Should I stop buying threaded inserts and use taps to thread the holes instead?

7 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Threaded inserts for knockdown are more about repeated insertion and removal. Machine screws in wood are best for installation that is left in place. This seems at odds with the way the blue reads in your post. 

My thoughts exactly. But decided to post it here because I could've been wrong and wasting my money on inserts.

14 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Threaded inserts for knockdown are more about repeated insertion and removal. Machine screws in wood are best for installation that is left in place. This seems at odds with the way the blue reads in your post. 

It's not at odds. The BC leg vise plans (as outlined in blue) are only refering to the vice install. Knock down hardware for legs and stretchers have included barrel nut.