Tip #8 – Bandsawing Small Parts, Use a Platform

Trip

Trip those are some crazy photos man. When I said they looked they could be from a magazine, i was referring to the quality and not calling you a plagiarizer :) 

I also have a DSLR, its actually my wife's but it just seems like a lot of work to use that instead of the phone. Obviously the work is worth it because my pics look like garbage compared to yours lol. 

If I were to start using the DSLR, what is the best way to upload and re-size to put them on the forum ?

Sorry for the hijack, if you would like to PM the answer that is cool, maybe some others on here are interested in the answer though....

4 hours ago, hhh said:

Keep those fingers safe...

Thanks for the great idea Trip.

I know that everyone works at being safe in this hobby and we have all heard about accidents on table saws and the ol' radial arm saw but the bandsaw can be deceiving in that it is quieter and unassuming in its operation.  I worked as a meat cutter for 32 years.  I was fortunate to never have any incidents that required stitches but I saw way too many others get some serious and debilitating injuries on the band saw.  It can be a finger eater!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like this tip i feel like it could be used more places than just on a band saw. I suppose on a table saw it's just called a miter sled though. Might be an ok idea to stop losing wood pieces in my miter saw though.

On 1/18/2016 at 10:42 AM, shaneymack said:

Sorry for the hijack, if you would like to PM the answer that is cool, maybe some others on here are interested in the answer though....

I'll bite on the advice. GIMP is a decent free "photoshop" software that you can scale images with. Works great is free to download and runs on EVERYTHING (computer, idk about mobile)

I think the biggest thing that makes his images look so great is his shop lighting. I'm jealous of how even your light is that must be nice for every aspect of shop work.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2016 at 0:20 PM, hhh said:

I'll PM you on the photo stuff... Actually, very early on, I had proposed a forum sub-area for tips on furniture photography... Actually, to get good results takes more than one might think... Not in terms of gear, but in technique... The idea didn't get much traction... Maybe someday...

I think this would be great.  I have a DSLR but no lights, backdrop or knowledge.  I also have a few buddies who are great photographers but the only advice I can get out of them is, "Do research, don't be an idiot, when are we going fishing?"

In their defense, I AM too lazy to research it and figure it out on my own, so I suppose I don't deserve much help.  I keep expecting it to fall in my lap one of these days...a succinct tutorial on phurniture photography 101.  Make it so, Trip.  Make it so.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2016 at 0:20 PM, hhh said:

Actually, very early on, I had proposed a forum sub-area for tips on furniture photography... Actually, to get good results takes more than one might think... Not in terms of gear, but in technique... The idea didn't get much traction... Maybe someday...

I'd like to hear those techniques. I learned them once in HS but that knowledge is long gone.