TS Cross-Cutting Sled

JT_LancasterPA

I attempted my first TS Cross-Cut sled last night and the results didn't quite pan out like I was hoping. I got the sled lined up perpendicular to the blade great and it slides in the tracks on the TS like butter. But then I went to put the sled over the blade, while lowered, and clamped it down hoping to turn the blade on and raise it up through the sled. The sled is made of 3/4 ply and as I was raising the blade on the TS it simply wasn't cutting through the ply. It was bowing in the middle from the pressure of the blade so I ceased for safety concerns. It cut shallowly but really didn't cut deep. 

As an alternative, I ran the blade shallowly creating the recess for a groove that then I used my jigsaw to cut out the opening. I then put it back on the TS and raised the blade, now with an opening to help the resistance. It worked after trying this method.

Any thoughts community as to why the blade wouldn't cut through the sled like I see in all the how-to videos? I'm still learning so any help is much appreciated.

We all have bonehead moments, don't worry about that.

But for future reference...you don't have to raise the blade up through the sled...you can just have the blade at full height and make the cut.  As long as your fences are tall enough to keep the sled together, eventually you'll have a through cut in the sled front to back anyway.

• Like 2

Does your saw have a riving knife? If so you will have to remove it to cut up through the sled.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You sir are a GENIUS! That would have made all the difference in the world! Well now I am simply utterly embarrassed...

Don't feel bad I did that the first time with my zero clearance insert

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1