aussie eucalyptus burl

Newland

Saw handle in the background. I'm estimating the burl to be around 8" x 10"???

It appears very porous. I'd suggest stabilizing it with some sort of casting resin. You could get several knife scales, pistol grips, or pen blanks from it. Or slice it into veneer and do a 4-way book matched panel with it.

• Like 1

Being a beginner I'd say you don't have stuff to cast with, and don't know how well it would hold together doing anything to it really, I cast so just send it to me haha.  I'd say your best bet would maybe google "eucalyptus burl projects" and see what other people have done, but I'd say most of it would involve turning.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

It appears very porous. I'd suggest stabilizing it with some sort of casting resin. You could get several knife scales, pistol grips, or pen blanks from it. Or slice it into veneer and do a 4-way book matched panel with it.

I was thinking of a veneer but being so porous, im not sure how stable it would be cutting it.

7 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

I cast so just send it to me haha.  I'd say your best bet would maybe google "eucalyptus burl projects" and see what other people have done, but I'd say most of it would involve turning

If you live in Australia then sure, pay postage and its yours.

I do have a lathe, pretty damn old but it still does the trick.