Slabs in southeast Michigan?

The M.Ob

Hello everyone -

I live in southeast Michigan and am looking for a place that deals in slabs (cherry and walnut specifically).
There are a few places that I can get regular old rough-sawn boards, but I am looking for some nice slabs (consecutive/book-matched) in order to build some higher quality pieces.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

I just found out about a place right in my own back yard!  I'm not sure how I've never heard of them.  They salvage trees from around the Detroit area and turn them into slabs (their warehouse is in Livonia, MI - my city).  This will be the first place I check out.  Thank you all for your responses!

http://www.treepurposed.com/

Cool, glad you found something. 

With that being said, residential trees can pose issues with metal in the wood; staples, nails, bullets etc.  Although a sawmill specializing in it should have it in their proticol, and I would guess they have wanded it but I would be investing in a metal detector to be sure. Blades on tools plus hidden metal = no fun for you or tools or wallet when replacing. 

9 minutes ago, Mike. said:

not sure how "to hear people talk" turns into "to hear Brendon talk" :)

I wasn't referring to  you specifically.  Just the general internet echo chamber that residential trees will have metal.  I know lots of sawyers won't deal with residental trees for that reason.  Others will take the risk.  

Well I  was the only one who said it here, and the op only has 3 posts on here.  Figured it was worth echoing.