Which lunchbox planer to buy?

Gunther15

I am fairly new to woodworking and am looking to buy my first thickness planer. I am not looking to spend and arm and a leg. I have found a few options in my price range and was hoping that some people out there would have some words of advice on what to look for since I don't have any experience in this area.

The planers that I am looking at are:

Grizzly G0790

Grizzly G0505

Rigid R4331

Delta 22-555

I have a 14 in grizzly bandsaw and had great experiences with their products.

I have noticed that some of these vary when it comes to number of knives either 2-3. Is this something that I should be considering as well?

Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at this thread... Personally I would wait, save little more, and get the 735x, but can understand the budget concerns and the immediate need.  At $599 the dewalt comes with extra knives and in-feed out-feed tables.  Sure it's $200 over budget but it's a "one and done" situation.  I will likely never buy another planer.  Perhaps the only thing I might do down the road is update mine with a Byrd Shellix cutterhead.

I don't own a planer yet, but in that price range I think the Dewalt DW734 gets the best reviews. It's not much more than others you're looking at, and one I've been contemplating as well. Or, jump to the DW735, which is overwhelmingly favored as the best lunchbox planer. 

• Like 1

I have a DW735 and don't know what i did with out it. Yes it's more expensive and yes it is a bit bigger but from the reviews and the research I've done it's loved by everyone that uses it. I don't know people's opinions on delta but the local tool shop won't supple them because they are too difficult to get parts for and are still skeptical on them. Dewalt goes on sale i picked up my DW 735x from acme tool for $500 i'm sure other retailers do the same.

I'm currently researching the benefits of the Bryd cutter head and doing so i stumbled across a few posts where people suggested the DW 735 as a very long term planer and if something better was wanted for wider or figured stock they suggested keeping the DW 735 and getting a drum sander to supplement.

I had the 735X and it's a fantastic unit. With sharp knives, it leaves a very clean cut and gave me great results. I did my Roubo top with it and on a piece 12" wide x 8 feet long, weighing over 100 pounds it pulled it through without issues.

I'd honestly save for the 735, in the long run you will be happier you did. 

I'll have to agree with the rest of the guys. Go with the DW735, I've had mine for around five years. Three knives cutter definitely cuts better then a two. 

At my shop we use an ancient 3ph Cresent City 20", it might be a couple inches wider, two knive planer. And while it can do things my dewalt will never do, there is no comparison in the quality of the cut.

I'd rather buy the right tool once...

20 minutes ago, Cochese said:

It's unanimous.

Every week.

Funny thing is, DeWalt could really care less about woodworkers. They don't cater to the woodworker whatsoever, because they know the Powermatics and Deltas of the world have it cornered. They just happen to luck out with that planer. 

By the way- They just did something similar with a cordless welder. It's a market they never ventured into before and hit a home run with a welding machine that is one of a kind. They have Miller and Lincoln scratching their heads. Funny company they are.

• Like 1

Just to be contrary, I'll say that my Delta 22-580 is a pretty darn good planer. No snip, decent finish. That being said, it's the last Delta tool I'll probably ever buy cause they just can't get it together & they've been screwing around at it for years.

But if the 735 had been available then, I'd have bought it for sure.

I faced the same decision a few months ago and bought the ridgid over the other ones you listed. It's worked great, cuts clean and leaves finish ready surfaces aside from the minimal snipe.  Everyone does seem to love the dewalt, but if you're in the pinch I was in, where you have lots of tools still to buy, blowing the budget here will probably keep you from buying something else you "need" in the short term. Your call, ultimately.

• Like 1

I own the Dewalt 734 and I've been more than happy with it so far. Very easy to set up, runs like a champ pretty much out of the box and takes up minimal space in my tiny shop. Just make sure you have good dust/chip collection as it really throws out the shavings! If your budget is $400 or less, the 734 is the one to go with!