Long leaf pine

Andy Wright

I just cut into some salvaged long leaf pine that I've had in my shop for a while, and it confirms that saying "they don't make them like that anymore"

This board was a 2x6 joist used for framing in a warehouse from the early 1900s. Its hard to get this level of quality from a hardwood supplier, and no way a board this nice would be used for framing. 

This is the color of the board after one light pass through the planer

IMG_20160126_085725478_20160126101207004.jpg

IMG_20160126_085756740_20160126101434016.jpg

• Like 1

We call long leaf pine " Heart Pine " here in the south. My supplier buys all the wood from demolished turn of the century buildings , puts it on a rail car and ships it here to clean up and resaw into flooring, beams and lumber.

A lot of the pine he buys grew in South Georgia and got shipped up north after the Chicago Fire for rebuilding. Now it's coming back. 

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I am huge fan of vertical grain softwoods.  You can still get Vertical Grain Doug Fir with similar tight grain if you look around a bit.  I have a couple boards stashed in my shop.  

I need to find your supplier because I've never seen grain this tight in new wood. That is a 3.5" board with 75 years of growth rings

There are at least a couple of suppliers in every state that I know of in the South East.  This is the stuff I use almost every day.  It continues to get more expensive.  I think the wood in this pickup load was a little over $3k.post-14184-0-98883800-1375840109_thumb.j   One "load" I had specially cut, which included some 1x's 5" wide and 20 feet long made a lot smaller pile than that for about the same price.  I think the 20 footers with no nail holes, and no knots were 27 bucks a board foot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom King said:

There are at least a couple of suppliers in every state that I know of in the South East.  This is the stuff I use almost every day.  It continues to get more expensive.  I think the wood in this pickup load was a little over $3k.post-14184-0-98883800-1375840109_thumb.j   One "load" I had specially cut, which included some 1x's 5" wide and 20 feet long made a lot smaller pile than that for about the same price.  I think the 20 footers with no nail holes, and no knots were 27 bucks a board foot.

I paid $2 a linear foot for 6" x1.5" x8' pieces here in TX, but it did have some knots and nails