Commercial Workbench

Tony Wilkins

I am using a bench I built myself but I like the Lie-Nielsen a lot. I have used it at their tool events several times now. Very stable and I love their twin vise. On the down side, it is pricey.

There are a few others that are worth the look. 

Sjolberg gets generally good reviews and they make a range of sizes and price ranges. Lower end are like stuff you can get at harbor freight but their higher end stuff seems very nice. http://www.sjobergs.se/en/advantages/

We have an adjust-a-bench at my woodworking club that is nice and depending on what your particular injuries are may make more sense then some others. http://www.adjustabench.com

I am looking at theses Hofmann and Hammer ones at Highland. They are on sale right now and look pretty good to me. No first hand experience with them though. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/workbenchsale.aspx

Just a few options...

Good luck with the search.

-Jim

• Like 1

I have the lie nielsen.  I would have preferred to build one but just wasn't equipped when I needed a bench.

you can get it customized to your needs...  Bench height, left/ right handed, vise size.  It's beefy and the vises are perfect - so smooth.

only downside is that the bottoms pretty useless. I think it would be nice with a shelf down there but there's nothing.  I currently have a bunch of lumber under it across the short stretchers. Adds a good amount of weight. 

Ultimately I'll add a shelf underneath, just need to route a bit out in the long stretchers.

wait time is pretty bad, especially if you're having it shipped... That tacks on a lot of time.  I'm in CT so I drove up to warren, ME and picked it up.  The guys there are super nice, great to see how they make the benches. (Different site from the main LN factory and store)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wilkins said:

I like the look of the Lie Nielsen.  The only thing I don't like about it is the face vise as opposed to a leg vise.

I'm interested in why the look has any value?  Isn't it's capabilities a bit more important?  And with any expertise at all, those vises can be changed to suit!

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

I'm interested in why the look has any value?  Isn't it's capabilities a bit more important?  And with any expertise at all, those vises can be changed to suit!

When I said look I was referring to how I could see myself using it as opposed to any asthetic value.  The face vise is growing on me.  I don't see getting the bench to change out something.  If it came without the vise at a cheaper price I'd consider it.