Triton Router - MOF001 Review?

N00b-in-training

Anyone running with a Triton MOF001 router? I desperately looking to replace my current Ryobi fixed base router. After much deliberation I believe I've settled on the Triton 2 1/4 hp plunge router. This will be used as a handheld device and I'll leave my Ryobi in my little router table until I can acquire a proper router table w router in the future. 

Curious if anyone has positive/negative reviews on the Triton. Thanks for the help

Not on that one. The bigger model, I have. It seems fine, though the "above the table" adjustment seems wonky cause I can't seem to bring the router up far enough to lock the shaft so I can loosen the bit. I might be doing something wrong. Not sure. I always have to take it out of the table, click the button on the knob, bring the plate all the way down, then click the button again, then put it back in the table so I can change the bit.

I have had one in my router table for several years.  My table is cast iron and I can't use a plate/lift, so the above table height/bit change features are the reasons I bought it.  I only used it one time as a handheld so I can't speak to that part of the router.  The dc is great.  I would like to replace someday with the 3 1/4 model because this one is a little under powered for table use, but to be honest I have not had a real need.  Check out the reviews here:  http://www.routerforums.com/, they seem to be well liked by those folks.

8 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Not on that one. The bigger model, I have. It seems fine, though the "above the table" adjustment seems wonky cause I can't seem to bring the router up far enough to lock the shaft so I can loosen the bit. I might be doing something wrong. Not sure. I always have to take it out of the table, click the button on the knob, bring the plate all the way down, then click the button again, then put it back in the table so I can change the bit.

Cliff, are you using a separate switch for your router,(leaving the tool switch in the on position) when you are changing bits?  For the above table bit change the switch has to in the off position.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I have had one in my router table for several years.  My table is cast iron and I can't use a plate/lift, so the above table height/bit change features are the reasons I bought it.  I only used it one time as a handheld so I can't speak to that part of the router.  The dc is great.  I would like to replace someday with the 3 1/4 model because this one is a little under powered for table use, but to be honest I have not had a real need.  Check out the reviews here:  http://www.routerforums.com/, they seem to be well liked by those folks.

Cliff, are you using a separate switch for your router,(leaving the tool switch in the on position) when you are changing bits?  For the above table bit change the switch has to in the off position.  

I do have a separate switch, but I reach under and turn off the router with that switch as well. I read about that before I bought it and figured it wouldn't be a big deal to turn it off before raising it all the way.

I honestly find their instruction book to be not great, so I could be missing out on something when I do this. When it's warmer I plan to play with it more and figure it out.

After a week of deliberation and reading I'm going with the Bosch MRC23EVSK instead. I was torn between the Triton/Milwaukee/Bosch. Ultimately choose the Bosch over the MW because of the edge guide. MW sells an edge guide, but it's not available anywhere i could find. I've read a bunch about others modifying the PC edge guide to work with the MW but frankly I'm not going to buy something new to modify to work with what should be a no brainer.

Choosing the Bosch over Triton was a comfort thing. Few retailers sell Triton in the US and it doesn't appear to be sold in the mass market much. I'd worry about getting support etc if I went the Triton route. 

CPO has factor reconditioned one available for $250 (free shipping and no tax, big deal here in TN). Added the Edge Guide for $32. Bought the dust collector from Amazon for another $28, I do think it's BS that the dust collection doesn't come with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/12/2016 at 4:48 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I like the Hitachi better.

Because I have one. And don't have a Triton!

I had the big Triton hanging under my router table for about 2 years.  I hated it.  The raising and lowering mechanism was very hard to work with.  I finally sold it and bought the big PC unit and never looked back.  

Dad has a couple of the Tritons and there is a learning curve.  Other than that they do as good as the next.  The DC hood works very well but, you've already decided on the Bosch so I won't blather on too much about the Tritons.

Routers are very personal when it comes to comfort and how moving the mass feels in your hands.  The body grip on the Milwaukee sold me on my first.  I immediately found out that the bodies and bases are interchangeable on the 5615 and 5616.  I now have a few and have different bases set up for different tasks.  I choose the motor based on power required or if I need variable speed or not.

The Bosch router family has a large number of satisfied customers and seems to be hanging on to their quality level.  There are a good number of accessories available and it should serve you well.

I have the big Triton in my table and have had good luck with it. No probs with adjustments, etc. We have two tables at school with the 2 1/4 Triton and they are a constant PIA to adjust. I suspect that they never removed the plunge tension spring which the instructions call for for under table use.

I have the big Triton - table mounted.  Mine had the older 1/2" collet with the 1/4" insert, I replaced the collets with the new versions (separate 1/2" and 1/4" collets and I love them.  I have had no problems with the above the table bit removal.  My only caution about Triton routers is that they can, over time, accumulate dust in the mechanism that raises and lowers the bit.  Not to difficult to take it apart, clean it up and lube it occasionally.  I am considering the MOF 001 for as a freehand router and for mortises, so that I can leave the big one in the table. 

Consider talking to Larry Rhodes at Market Hardware in Marion, NC.  He is a good ol' boy (one man shop, I think) that sells and repairs most brands.  He is very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time on the phone with me when I had my collet problem. 828-317-1669.  Excellent service.