Watco danish oil ?

jnussmeier

Im new to this product and tried to for the first time. And I must say that I really like it? I'm doing a bar top for a friend and he did t want to go with a traditional polyurethane or shellac finish. But opted for a more natural oil look. While not my favorite look I know it can still be nice. But I wanted more protection than just oil finish for this as I made a solid 8/4 thick black walnut bar top. So after research I found watco's Danish oil. After using I still want a we bit more shine and protection of a urethane than I'm getting. After finding I can make this myself with tung oil, poly, and mineral spirits, my question is can I strengthen the poly side of the recipe without causing trouble? Will this even help? I'm a simple fella don't really branch out much in the finish department, as i do what works and get consistent results. 

Thanks fellas 

Danish oil won't provide much protection on a bar top, but more that straight oil, I suppose. If just adding coats of Danish oil isn't providing the sheen you want, I would consider just wiping on some poly, severely diluted with mineral spirits. If it gets too glossy, you can always rub out the sheen with some 0000 steel wool. After it fully cures, of course.

Make sure the original coats of Watco are completely cured before adding any more finish. Yes you can mix more poly in to your homemade brew but make sample boards and be sure you like the results first.

i would just poly the bartop and let it cure for a few weeks then rub the finish out to get that silky smooth feel.

Watco makes a Salad bowl and cutting board finish that may work well for your bartop. It wipes on.

• Like 1