Platform Bed

Na1han

@Chestnut That is a huge drawer! Although mine is not to far off (apx 30 x 58), I didn't realize how big it was in the plan until I actually built it, now I am a little worried about how to make the drawer slides smooth enough that I will be able to move it.  Luckily I think we only plan on storing the heavy comforter in there during the summer when its not being used.

Here is the link of the SketchUp file for the bed if anyone is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqb1kr0stu1z0hy/California%20King%20Bed.skp?dl=0

17 hours ago, Na1han said:

@Chestnut That is a huge drawer! Although mine is not to far off (apx 30 x 58), I didn't realize how big it was in the plan until I actually built it, now I am a little worried about how to make the drawer slides smooth enough that I will be able to move it.  Luckily I think we only plan on storing the heavy comforter in there during the summer when its not being used.

Here is the link of the SketchUp file for the bed if anyone is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqb1kr0stu1z0hy/California%20King%20Bed.skp?dl=0

I was going to do hardwood waxed bars on the bottom to slide it or UHMW material.

I also was going to make a stand that would flip down from the bottom to support the drawer when pulled out to hold it level. The stand would only need to be 3/4" tall so it should be easy. Have the hinge swing towards the back of the drawer so pulling it out stands it up and pushing in folds the stand back up.

Chestnut, that flip down stand is a smart idea. If I find the drawer doesn't really support itself I could always add it later.

I got some work done on the rails tonight. They ended up being made from 3 maple boards and the walnut inlay. We didn't mill any 6/4 wood when we were on the sawmill so I ended up being able to use a single board for the outside face and edge jointed two boards and glued those to the back of the face board to make it 1.5 inches thick.

The corners of the end rail are mitered so I can wrap the face grain around and avoid end grain, I'm hoping that ends up working out. The end rail is joined to the side rails using traditional bed frame metal hooks so it can be broken down to move.  I'll work on attaching those once I attach the small mitered pieces to "wrap" the end rail.

82d56a2ce62d27de5fb4781c3a72972d.jpg

aa1167cc2f7d187be1e84128993af4cd.jpg

7c46708a05baa6ccd17b592f1ce82f27.jpg

Looking good! I like the walnut inlay!

One question, why do you want to avoid end grain? Im not sure where the whole avoiding end grain school of thought came from but its a weird one. I think end grain is a feature and can look great. Obviously personal taste can come into play here, im just saying don't avoid end grain because you heard that's the way its supposed to be. The issue is that you have now created an end grain to end grain glue joint that could be problematic in the future if unsupported, splined etc. especially if that is going to be the location of your bed bolts. I would be worried that you find that little return on the floor one day.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking good! I like the walnut inlay!

One question, why do you want to avoid end grain? Im not sure where the whole avoiding end grain school of thought came from but its a weird one. I think end grain is a feature and can look great. Obviously personal taste can come into play here, im just saying don't avoid end grain because you heard that's the way its supposed to be. The issue is that you have now created an end grain to end grain glue joint that could be problematic in the future if unsupported, splined etc. especially if that is going to be the location of your bed bolts. I would be worried that you find that little return on the floor one day.

Thanks! That mitered joint has actually been something I have been struggling with a lot during the design. If I left as end grain the walnut inlay would have looked a little weird just stopping there. I tried to see if I could just wrap the walnut around by recessing it into the end grain but I though it looked goofy with the face grain walnut and end grain maple next to each other.

Last week I was fortunate enough to have saved enough for a domino, it should be here Monday. I plan joining the small mitered corners with that, hopefully that will be strong enough.

Looking good! I like the walnut inlay!One question, why do you want to avoid end grain? Im not sure where the whole avoiding end grain school of thought came from but its a weird one. I think end grain is a feature and can look great. Obviously personal taste can come into play here, im just saying don't avoid end grain because you heard that's the way its supposed to be. The issue is that you have now created an end grain to end grain glue joint that could be problematic in the future if unsupported, splined etc. especially if that is going to be the location of your bed bolts. I would be worried that you find that little return on the floor one day.

Thanks! That mitered joint has actually been something I have been struggling with a lot during the design. If I left as end grain the walnut inlay would have looked a little weird just stopping there. I tried to see if I could just wrap the walnut around by recessing it into the end grain but I though it looked goofy with the face grain walnut and end grain maple next to each other.

Last week I was fortunate enough to have saved enough for a domino, it should be here Monday. I plan joining the small mitered corners with that, hopefully that will be strong enough.

I totally understand the design issue! Your choice makes sense given the design. I thought you were avoiding end grain because of some weird woodworker tradition. I think adding domino's to that joint will really help. Great choice.

Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally have an update on the project. The last couple weeks have been a lot of sanding and surface prep. I have a four day weekend due to Easter and I have been able to get quite a bit done so far.

I mounted all the drawer slides and built the spacers to keep the two bottom drawer sections spaced out so the center drawer can fit in between. I also started finishing everything, pictures are below.

3e66df37ed54c1240fead30581ab93af.jpg

964a99bbe812d3e2a7d51a19efddc8e4.jpg

725648a18b87524e999c74d8e8b76a82.jpg

7cb870a01c049ef9c8fadd6f562a672d.jpg

ec0f807d8a261b1d15377869da94178b.jpg

64b843395c1c67d2687e5300bc33239d.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Coming along very nicely! What finish did you use?

Thanks! I just used a minwax sanding sealer first (sanded with 320), this maple was pretty blotchy in some other projects.  Then 2 coats of 1/3 BLO, 1/3 satin poly, 1/3 mineral spirits (sanded with 500). Then one coat of 1/2 satin poly and 1/2 mineral spirits. I wish I had a buffing wheel or a 1500+ sanding grit to go over it one more time but I think it turned out good enough.  The maple sanding to be extremely smooth before I started finishing.