Kerf bending wood choice

Just Bob

Last weekend my wife told me she was tired of waiting and gave me a choice.  Either spend close to 2k on this press board "masterpiece" or make a similar quilting station, I made the right choice.  She understands that this is a couple of months out, and right now I am in the planning stage.  She wants the curved top so I am going to make it out of BB ply and laminate it,  I hate the iron on edge treatment stuff and think that kerf bending is a decent solution for the ply edge.  I have done kerf bending before but nothing this large or this tight of radius and I am concerned that the wrong wood choice will crack/split on the curve.  Right now I am leaning towards cherry for the cabinet and want to use it for the ply edge, but I am not sure.  I am wide open to any suggestions.

sewing.jpg.bc075a009954759b935ead5a1992d

If you're talking about the edge banding,  it (the curve) doesn't look too severe to me.  I'm not even sure why you would need relief cuts.  A 3' of cherry, sub 1/8" can bend in a circle.  

If your planer will surface down to 3/32", I'd try that or cut them on the table saw.  Do a dry run buthe strategically  placed clamps and a bunch of blue tape should hold the banding plenty long enough to glue. 

15 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

If you're talking about the edge banding,  it (the curve) doesn't look too severe to me.  I'm not even sure why you would need relief cuts.  A 3' of cherry, sub 1/8" can bend in a circle.  

If your planer will surface down to 3/32", I'd try that or cut them on the table saw.  Do a dry run buthe strategically  placed clamps and a bunch of blue tape should hold the banding plenty long enough to glue. 

I agree with this.  Or use a pin nailer in addition to clamps and tape.

52 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Thanks I will try that.

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

This is a piece that is meant to be worked on, not fine furniture. Laminate is a great choice for a durable top, but why not just leave the edge grain of the BB exposed. Once well sanded & finished it looks pretty good.

I agree and was my choice I showed the wife what that would look like,  the answer was to the point, no.  I do what I am told.