notching for a bottom shelf - now with pics!

rodger.

Looking to install a solid wooden shelf about 6" from the floor of a side table.  I would like to notch out the legs and place the shelf in the notches.  Seems like this would not allow for wood movement, and eventually cause undo stress on the table.  However, I have seen this done many times.

Opinions?

Looking to install a solid wooden shelf about 6" from the floor of a side table.  I would like to notch out the legs and place the shelf in the notches.  Seems like this would not allow for wood movement, and eventually cause undo stress on the table.  However, I have seen this done many times.

Opinions?

Can you leave a little extra room in the notches for expansion?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Like Shane said, but you really only have to worry about expansion across the grain. The other direction could be solid. What is the dimension across the grain? There is a calculator somwhere in the interwebs that will tell you how much movement to expect. Could be it isn't enough to cause a problem.

hey pug, thats the way i did the shelves for the side table i made, see walnut and cherry side table under project showcase, i did as shane suggests and left a little extra room but i didn't glue in the shelves, i ran a cherry dowel thru the front of the leg and into the shelf only putting glue on the last 1/4 inch of the dowel to hold the shelf in place, no problems yet 

• Like 1

I would say it depends on the design. You have two forces from wood movement to worry about 

Force#1 the cross grain glue joint between the shelf and the leg. For a typical table leg this is only 1-3", and you can typically glue across the grain for a small dimension like that

Force#2 the expansion of the shelf. This would cause the legs to splay in and out, so it really depends on the overall design. For most side table designs, there is room for the legs to spread the necessary 1/4" without damaging the rest of the table

I think it looks better if the shelf is recessed into the leg. Here is an antique table in our house that is similar to your design. The the legs are around 1" square where they join the shelf. The shelf is notched into the legs around 3/4". 

My guess is that the shelf has all four corners clipped at 45 degrees and there is a matching dado in each leg to receive the shelf

IMG_20160131_240744324.jpg

I've done tables similar to this by notching all 4 legs, glueing the shelf just to the front legs and letting the rear of the shelf float in the notches. The shelf covers any gap in the rear legs as that too is notched to fit between the legs. 

You do have to think about your glueing strategy though as you can only fit the rear legs once you have the shelf in place as the shelf becomes captive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric. said:

Yeah, I'd notch the legs.  If you don't like that idea, you could use breadboards and tenons into the legs.  Cremona used this technique for his walnut coffee table if you don't know what I'm talking about...

neat idea.

The time to make a decision is coming up - need to get a start on this table.  Ill check out the video - thanks Eric.  Thanks for all the advice - I'm leaning towards the notched legs.

17 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

Don't have a video, but here's what I would do. The drawing is crude, but basically you make a jig to cut a 45 degree slot in the corner of the leg using either a dado stack or a router.

For a small table loke you are building I think you can just glue the bottom in at all four corners

IMG_20160131_213503141.jpg

This is kinda what I was imagining in my head as well.  Thx.