Socket organizer

Dnorris1369

I just keep them in the blow molded case they came in - I hate it.  I have been thinking about doing something as well, but dont use my set enough to warrant dedicated shop space in my small shop.  

I really only take them out to change the oil or tires on my car (or the wife's), or to do the occasional machine tweek.

Ernst twist locks for me too:  http://www.amazon.com/Ernst-Manufacturing-8451-Universal-Multi-Drive/dp/B00CHJHA7I

But I mainly use the individual strip ones for the different drive sizes and types in the rear toolbox on the truck.  http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-91805-2-Inch-Socket-3-Piece/dp/B00BRL59PC/ref=pd_sim_469_17?ie=UTF8&dpID=41lY4MiEDFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0XZ1N3Z9E5YS00KVYHX5  That way I can carry the right strip to what we're working on.

On both of these, the individual twist locks are replaceable.  I have some spares, but have never needed to replace one.  Sockets and accessories are kept in the toolbox in the back of the bed.post-14184-0-98883800-1375840109_thumb.j

Sockets in the shops are kept on the vertical peg holders.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6NL52?psc=1

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

I use a few different socket organizers. Snap on trays are great as they easily read the sizes without touching anything. I also use socket rail clips. Which are handy for 1/4" and 3/8" drive.

865533f26ba3e9a646aec7398bda05bd.jpg

1e025bd5de79686344dcd557d38d73e8.jpg

944d0ecb90359f0ef2c4065489474655.jpg

Damn, were you an auto mechanic in your former life?

I just throw mine in a drawer. That way I don't know I'm missing one until I go to look for it.

5 minutes ago, DanWilt said:

I bought these socket organizers at Sears and Home Depot. They let you take the whole set to where you need them. The reason it is so clean and organized is because I had just put them into my new toolbox which was a birthday gift from my folks. 

image.jpeg

Nice set.  With all those 12 point sockets, I'd recommend getting at least a 13mil and 17 mil 6 points. You shouldn't use a 12 point for trans fluid plug or oil plug.  Ask me how I know and what happened with the M6 I learned it on. .

10 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Nice set.  With all those 12 point sockets, I'd recommend getting at least a 13mil and 17 mil 6 points. You shouldn't use a 12 point for trans fluid plug or oil plug.  Ask me how I know and what happened with the M6 I learned it on. .

I don't think those are traditional 12 point sockets. They look like the Max Axess or Universal sockets. I have a set of those and in my opinion, they're even worse than 12 point sockets.

I never understood why mechanics had so many tools, I'm saying this jokingly.

In all honesty though i did a full engine rebuild on my pickup and used 8mm 10mm 13mm 17mm & 19mm, a dial gauge, and piston ring compressor. Oh yeah and a BIG hammer, some times you have to fix things jezza style.

1 minute ago, Brendon_t said:

That sounds like a terrible idea. .

They work well for small jobs around the house. Do not use with stubborn bolts though... either slipping or bolt rounding is often the result.

I keep mine in their original case. Depending on the job, I just carry that case and get things done no problem.

41 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I get it, and can see how it would be useful for light diy use.  I prefer the geometry of sockets from the high end guys but I understand non industry users will rarely drop $750-$1000 on a simple 3/8 drive set. 

Yeah, if your name is Brendon and you're a Snap-on sucker LOL

There are cheaper, good quality alternatives out there, including Armstrong or SK Tools to name a few.