What finish for Cherry Table>

weelis

I know finishing can be very personal. Am completing a 13x46 table made from Cherry. Am lookingt for auggestions on how to finish it.  I have used shellac in the past with good luck, but am looking for other options.  What works for you?  Thanx.

i almost always use minwax wipe on poly for cherry - looks awesome, is easy to apply, and is readily available - the triple crown!

i normally use the satin variety.

i have also used danish oil, water based with hvlp, as well as the other usual suspects (shellac, lacquer, etc).

wipe on poly for the win!

I recently completed a computer table that had a cherry top.  I applied 1 coat of Danish Oil followed by 4 coats of wiped on ARS.  Looks fantastic, in my opinion.

I didn't have to apply the Danish Oil but on my samples the colour seemed slighly more even, had a bit of a richer tone and to me it just looked a little better than plain ARS.  There was also some figure in a few places and it the Oil really made it look fantastic.

If you want to color the cherry I have used General Finishes Gel Stains and their wipe on poly and had good (not great) results.  I needed to color the cherry to match existing furniture in a home theater room.  For me Cherry tends to blotch if I'm adding color.  Only solution I have found that minimizes blotching is to meticulously sand with 120 then 150 then 180 being careful to completely sand the surfaces with each grit before applying a gel stain.  If you ever had a drop of water on the surface from wiping glue careful sanding is imperative.