Sanding Plum

Scott M

Several years ago I succumbed to an impulse and bought some plum without a clue what I was going to do with it.I finally decided that I needed to do something and made a small box.I sanded up to 220 grit and everything looks good but I so much as look at it wrong and it's all scratched up. Just wondering if anyone had any tips for sanding and finishing this wood. I'm finishing it with lacquer now, will that reduce the scratching.

Plum huh? Never seen the wood from that tree.  Is your progressive sanding removing the scratch pattern from the last lower grit? It sounds as easy as sanding it up high then applying a finish that creates a film and builds on itself.  If you have scrap,  test a few finishes.  Oils that soak in won't give much for scratch protection.  Shellac, poly would be my starts on scrap.  Choose the one you like. 

22 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

if you can see scratches you must have either skipped a grit or not spent enough time with each grit. If you can get a sharp pencil lead into a scratch and  mark it. Then sand until the mark is gone and repeat with each grit.

The scratches I'm getting are not sanding scratches, they happen afterwards. I set a piece down on a clean workbench and when I pick it up it has scratches.

If it is a freshly sanded, but raw, piece of wood that does this, I suspect you are seeing the grain fibers rise from humidity, rather than scratches. I have made numerous jewelry pieces, and one small box, from a plum tree I cut in my back yard. The wood is pretty hard, with tight, dense grain, like many fruit woods. It polishes well, and I suggest sanding it to about 600 grit before applying finish. At that level, it will take on a shine just rubbing it in your hands, but will dull quickly as the surface reacts with moisture in the air.