help with stain!

kobe1957

So I am a novice trying to build a bookshelf. I wanted to create a piece that resembled the mid century pieces I have. I decided to go with a dark walnut danish oil finish on pine plywood. Well, the color is very dark and more "industrial" then I was wanting. I did more research and maybe I should have done teak oil or a chestnut color stain to get that reddish brown that is common in the mid century furniture I like. My question is, could I simply apply another stain on top of the danish oil finish? I cannot sand anymore off the plywood.  Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!!

A photo might get you better advice. I suspect th pine plywood is going to look "industrial" with any sort of penetrating stain or dye. That's the nature of the grain in many varieties of pine. My suggestion would be to seal the surface, perhaps with shellac, then apply a gel glaze over that. If an even, dark color is your goal, a coat of dye before sealing should help. Beware that all this will obscure the grain considerably, but I assume a less grainy appearance is what you are after.

Next time you want a dark piece, consider using a dark wood.