Tip #12: Lost a Nut, Go Fish...

Trip

Here’s a quick Tip from this weekend’s shop 'entertainment'... And figure it's better to read tips than listen to talking heads cover the Iowa Caucasus -- so everyone get's a second Tip today!

After dinner on Friday, entered the shop to get a jump on milling stock for my Entertainment Center build...

I like to mill in two-stages, so this was an opportunity to spend an hour or two on Friday night to save a full day over the weekend...

Great, right?

Well, during my very first minute in the shop, dropped the TS arbor nut changing to a rip blade... Damn!

It's going to be a long night....

No big deal, right... Happens every once in a while – no problem...

Except this time, it fell into the dust collection funnel, down the DC pipe, out the DC port, into the ductwork and Gone!

Double Damn!

After I stopped swearing, I used the shop’s magnetic ‘grabber’ (a magnet at the end of a 30” flexible wand) to go spearfishing.... Skunked!

Now this was a real problem: the nut went down the saw, out the DC port and well along the DC flex hose...

I could relocate the outfeed table, disassemble the flex connection, ground strap, and ---- Ahhhh, nope.... This is becoming too much like work...

Needed some new fishing gear...

Enter the Orvis Steelhead:

Tip12-2.jpg.17f515951878b6255c5912b470bf

The Cabela’s version :)

Tip12-1.jpg.ac540741731766cc8a26478b52d9

Dropped the magnet down the funnel and it tumbled out the saw and into the DC system... After several casts, got a hit!

Saved...

OK... So maybe it's not such an exciting Tip, but it sure saved me an hour or so...

And I'm a lazy sod, so I'm all for saving time. So it's a good Tip for the lazy...

So it cost me $5 for a twice-yearly fishing tournament...  I win every time...

PS... There's a serious side to this Tip: perhaps it saved me much more than an hour.... I dropped the arbor nut because I was tired... That violates my most sacred rule of hobby woodworking: don't work with power tools if you are tired... After I retrieved the nut, I realized my mistake and spent the remainder of my shop time sharpening and putting tools away... 2c.

PPS. I use the Cabelas version -- I got the Orvis reel out from the back of a closet just to see if I could still locate my fly gear... :)

PPPS. And before someone asks, yes that's a genuine vintage CFO 123 reel (screws, not rivets) -- not the reissue! And no, I will not sell it to you! :)

Be safe...

• Like 1

I'm in the process of finalizing the DC duct to my table saw so this tip is very timely. Didn't even think of the dropped nut which I've done at least 8 times with my old saw. With my new set up as planned, it could be long job to retrieve that nut. And having steel duct kinda rules out the magnet trick. Easy to remedy at this point.

Thanks for the tip!

==^^^

It's generally accepted best practice to use a short length of flex hose to connect the shop's ductwork to the tool's DC inlet... It's also accepted best practice to keep the 'last mile' connection to four feet of flex or less... All my stationary tools have four feet of flex for the last mile... The only exception is my spindle sander which I sometimes relocate for long stock -- that's about six feet of flex...

59 minutes ago, hhh said:

==^^^

It's generally accepted best practice to use a short length of flex hose to connect the shop's ductwork to the tool's DC inlet... It's also accepted best practice to keep the 'last mile' connection to four feet of flex or less... All my stationary tools have four feet of flex for the last mile... The only exception is my spindle sander which I sometimes relocate for long stock -- that's about six feet of flex...

I'm running solid duct from the saw, under the outfeed table & then up past the right end of the table. Then flex to the OH duct. So that will now include some kind of access device where the duct connects to the saw.

hhh said "I dropped the arbor nut because I was tired... That violates my most sacred rule of hobby woodworking: don't work with power tools if you are tired..." 

I think that needed repeating, That is exactly what led to me loosing a testicle.

Im pretty curious. Where did your testicle go?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

==>I like the store, but do my best to stay away from their branded items. 

The stores are amazing... I know guys who make it a day-trip --- the spring sale is like an annual pilgrimage or rite-of-passage...

I've got some of their house-brand gear --- it's not fancy, but works fine... I've not purchased anything from Cabela's in over a decade, so don't know how quality has held-up... But to Mel's point -- they sure love to plaster their name on things in as big a font as they can...

Over the weekend, I went looking for my fly gear -- haven't seen it in at least a couple of years... I really should do a bit of fishing this year -- the problem is, I say that every year... :)  In the good old days, lived on a lake. After work, would grab a bottle of red wine and push-off in a boat -- rarely caught a thing, but that really wasn't the point...

8 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Im pretty curious. Where did your testicle go?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It wasn't clear? His testacle is in the dust collector with Trip's nut and Don's teeth.