one of the Coolest jointers ever

Tom King

13 hours ago, hhh said:

==>infeed table that tilts

standard pattern jointer feature.

Ok, I will bite. Why is a 7° tilting infeed table beneficial and standard for pattern makers?

24" would be uncomfortable to work on as your primary machine. I find my 12" strains my lower back at times if im too lazy to move the fence forward for edge jointing(im too lazy 95% of the time). I feel like jointers are like bandsaws in that you might want two if you have your druthers in a dream world. Not to mention a 5" diameter cutterhead means your min board size has to be 15"+/-.

One last consideration on these massive antique jointers. How flat are their tables? Im not doubting the machinists of 100+ years ago, but how do they compare to high end jointers of today? I assume you don't need to be dead nuts flat, but ive read before about guys having old porters etc. re-milled before using them. This leads me to believe the old ones aren't incredibly flat.

11 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Ok, I will bite. Why is a 7° tilting infeed table beneficial and standard for pattern makers?

Not to mention a 5" diameter cutterhead means your min board size has to be 15"+/-.

Personally I don't see that as a limitation.  Even on my little 6" jointer I wouldn't joint anything less than 15" in length.  I use hand tools or my fireplace to dimension smaller boards.  

There's an entire website for old pattern gear: http://www.owwm.org/

No treatise today -- I'm trying to break that habit... :)

Tilting Table: Pattern work requires lots of relief angles... So much may be 89d or 91d... There's an old saying in pattern work, if it's 90d, something's wrong...

Head Diameter: The diameter of the head is all about the quality of the surface... Ever wonder why hobby-kit heads are around 3", but pro gear starts at 6"? Note: before someone mentions PM having 3" heads, that's still hobby kit.... In pro gear, the larger head provides mass, improved angle of attack, and low protrusion. Today, pro-kit heads start at 6" and continue to around 10", with 8" being the sweet-spot for non-industrial gear...

==> Im not doubting the machinists of 100+ years ago, but how do they compare to high end jointers of today?

Quality pattern gear was milled, not ground. Assuming the gear has been cared for, you can expect 0.003 over 100" tables (frequently better). Modern top-shelf kit is still made that way (think Northfield, Felder, et al). That's one reason why quality jointers start around $10K...

==>read before about guys having old porters etc. re-milled before using them. This leads me to believe the old ones aren't incredibly flat.

More likely misuse, age, poor storage conditions, rust, relocation damage, etc... After the war, most of the gear wasn't cared for very well... No one cared...

==>Even on my little 6" jointer I wouldn't joint anything less than 15" in length.

Good advice... As the stock becomes smaller, milling operations become more risky to fingers...

PS. Don't you love the way it's bolted to the floor?  You might think someone would accidentally move it looking for a dropped screw??? Or maybe it was to prevent employee theft???

PPS... Notice how the listing provides all pertinent information -- except how much it weighs??? One, I bet he doesn't know... And two, if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford the riggers... :)

PPPS: Does it come with a mobil base??  All my kit up to 1500lbs has a mobile base... You can get them custom made for gear up to 3000lbs...