Pith on bandsaw blade

wouldwurker

@vinnyjojo I helped clean some blades @ the guild and we used a rag from the back of the blade, gloves of course, and blade cleaner.  One person would spin the wheels slowly and the other would wipe the blade.  We also cleaned the wheels pretty much the same way.  Unfortunately, or aggravatingly, cleaning one left more gunk on the other so one had to go back and forth a couple times. 

Most blade cleaners are caustic. I wouldn't want that inside my bandsaw. Do you leave the blade in your tablesaw or router to clean it?

Practice changing the bandsaw blade is the only way you get proficient at it. Take notes and white them inside the cover in case you need any specific tools or a certain size wrench.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Most blade cleaners are caustic. I wouldn't want that inside my bandsaw. Do you leave the blade in your tablesaw or router to clean it?

You mean you don't?  Hold the rag against the table saw blade for a few secs and ....

I keed!!!!

I asked our shop tool guy about that and he said the cleaner we use doesn't hurt anything and everything it touches gets wiped off.  I don't remember what cleaner it is so I can't help you there.  Seems to me that if you need to clean the tires anyway ...

Your advice is good of course.  I think it was FAR easier to clean it on the saw though because when I was cleaning some blades off the saw they were flopping all over the place.  Then I thought I would try to clean one that was coiled and ... SPROING!!  

Maybe I was just lucky that way. :)