Is the quality difference appreciable

collinb

... between a bench and a floor-standing jointer.

It probably won't be until Fall, or maybe even next Spring, until I get one.  But I'm keeping my eyes open in case a bargain comes up.  No matter when, some questions remain. 

Looking at Bench units: I see the Jet 8" priced not to much different than some 6" units.

Looking at Floor units: Periodically I see some used ones come up at auction. Is an old cast iron tank (not an Oliver!) worth the time / energy to fix up (like cleaning corrosion)? Are the knives of older ones generally obtainable?

An observation: I'm thinking that I'll avoid the ones with the semmingly less rigid fence on the back side.  They just don't feel right, like they might not hold the wood in position firmly.  Like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_80877-70-PC160JT_0__?productId=3059865  Am I mistaken in that observation?

The more specific question: Will a respectable bench jointer give me as precise a square corner as heftier floor unit?  If not, why not?

Colin, I used to have a 6" benchtop jointer with 24" beds, here is my list of complaints. 

HOLY LOUD, seriously,  it was like a jet engine spooling up. 

Direct drive motor seemed to transfer vibration from the cutting knives throughout the whole machine.   Sitting on the bench,  it would walk around if not strapped down. 

Weight,  they aren't light.  Lifting it on and off the work surface is no fun

Bed length, at 24" I found I could face joint about 24" straight and 36" on the edge.  

When looking at old floor units,  blades aren't that hard to come by.  I removed mine,  measured them,  and found replacements within about 5 minutes on the net. 

Thanks.  That's helpful.

This one is out of my price range (or size requirements), but of anyone needing a WIDE one that's easier to handle than that Oliver ... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/5346966013.html

My consideration of bench units was to control real estate in the garage.  It *may* even get bolted to a workbench on wheels, so lifting it isn't that much of a concern.  (Wheels, what a fine invention!)  Even so, if they vibrate a great deal then bolting it down might reduce vibration. (Sort of like putting better feet on my turntable.) But is it enough?  Curious minds seek an answer ...

7 minutes ago, collinb said:

Then there's older belt drives like this, and quite reasonably priced.  But

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/5399540624.html

back to the original point -- would it produce a quality result? I would anticipate such, but that's the novice in me.

It depends. If you want to mill up 24" sticks, it will do it. Not great but satisfactorily. 

I feel that my stand up produces a Better Quality result.  I used to have to go back and plane the jointed face iot rid it off washboard and the high vibration felt like it would bounce the board from the beds. Getting a glue ready face and edge  to me is a quality result so in that aspect,  the benchtop did not produce one. 

I also would not want wheels under my jointer full time. The first time you are pushing a board through when you should have waxed the beds and the jointer pushes away from you, that could be dangerous. 

Yep i had the 6 1/8" Craftsman jointer with cast iron beds and fence, it was horribly loud. Loudest tool in the shop by far. Made my router table sound quiet. The reason for all the noise is the vacuum chip extraction. It worked very well for small pieces, but the beds were short, and the volume was more than I could bear. I did get good results with it on smaller stuff. 

Has any one used the floor standing Craftsman jointer? I have one sitting in my garage and have never turned it on. I fear that it is further out of alignment and will do more harm than good. Not specifically mine, i have a rust free version but this is just an image i found.

m94f7zw.jpg

Chestnut, I have that jointer (without the rust) and it works fine. You can get new blades, just make sure you really, really lock down the blades when changing them-don't ask me how I know. The manual says it works better to align the tables on a bench.  It is fussy, but not that hard. Once set, it seems to hold up for quite while.  I am sure there are better jointers out there, but I got mine for free and have been using it for about four years. I think Sears still sells the blades and they can be sharpened. 

• Like 1

colin,

later in the spring i will be taking my mother home (galion, ohio)

my father has an older floor unit, i will see if my mother will part with it.  (probably, we want to unload some of his old stuff and i don't want that one as he has an inca combination planer, jointer that was barely used before he passed)

make a note of it and pm me in late april or may

Used floor model is the way to go. Don't be afraid of a little rust on the bed. Cleans off quickly with a scotchbrite pad and wd40 or a flat razor blade. If you can change bearings you have all the technical skills needed to get a crusty jointer up and running let alone one of those used but less then 10 year old models.

2 hours ago, Pug said:

How much are you comfortable spending?  This will help narrow the field a bit.  

Haven't even looked at that yet.  Just kicking tires.

2 hours ago, weithman5 said:

colin,

later in the spring i will be taking my mother home (galion, ohio)

my father has an older floor unit, i will see if my mother will part with it.  (probably, we want to unload some of his old stuff and i don't want that one as he has an inca combination planer, jointer that was barely used before he passed)

make a note of it and pm me in late april or may

Will do.

1 hour ago, minorhero said:

Used floor model is the way to go. Don't be afraid of a little rust on the bed. Cleans off quickly with a scotchbrite pad and wd40 or a flat razor blade. If you can change bearings you have all the technical skills needed to get a crusty jointer up and running let alone one of those used but less then 10 year old models.

Tx.

18 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Has any one used the floor standing Craftsman jointer? I have one sitting in my garage and have never turned it on. I fear that it is further out of alignment and will do more harm than good. Not specifically mine, i have a rust free version but this is just an image i found.

I also have that exact jointer... minus the rust.  Paid $100 locally.  It works very well, assuming I double check the fence angle before edge jointing. It's easy to be a few degrees off. I've successfully jointed some surprisingly long boards considering the short beds.  I rigged up a dust collection port on the bottom, doesn't catch everything but works reasonably well.  I found blades easily online... don't remember if I bought craftsman or rigid though, they may be the same anyway.

The difference between a floor unit and a benchtop is usually pretty significant.  It's the build quality and materials of construction of the stationary units that make them notably better than most benchtops.   8" is usually better yet, but that has more to do with capacity than construction quality, assuming you pursue one made of cast iron with a belt drive induction motor.  Mass and capacity are your friends when it comes to jointers.

• Like 1