another wood ID

treeslayer

ok, so this is the story. 30 years ago i bought this wood, was told its oak (and i think it is) bought it from a lumber grader in northern illinois, he only found 4 trees like this in the timber he was grading and had no explanation for the dark eyes in this wood, he thought those trees might have been infested with something the woodpeckers liked as the eyes do seem to look like bark pushed into the grain, another guy thought mineral deposits in the ground did it. anybody have any ideas what this is?

DSCN0059.jpg

Light wood is defiantly Oak probably red judging by how short the rays are. White oak tends t have longer rays than red. The rays are the little dark lines running generally with the grain. Looking at the dark spots they look like little knots to me but the picture isn't the clearest.

Looks pretty cool to me.

Looks like wormy chestnut to me, but unless you bought it reclaimed 30 years ago, it's unlikely to be chestnut, so you're probably right about oak.  I googled "wormy oak" and some pictures that look just like your board came up.  That would be my best (un)educated guess.

On February 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM, treeslayer said:

heres a picture of door number two coop, they do look like little knots but i don't think they are, this picture is better and i've never seen any wood like it before

IMG_0371.jpg

Really neat looking piece Dave!