Berkey Table - completed

rodger.

I have been on municipal water for about 2 years, and really miss the well I had on my previous property.  I decided, after a lot of research and reading on water quality, to get a "Big Berkey" water filtration system.  I have been using the Berkey for about a week, and this thing is awesome.  As a bonus, it requires no electricity or water pressure.  It can create clean water from swamp water, though I will never require it to do so (unless there is a zombie Apocalypse).

Here is video of the system (I am not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer).

So this thing is currently sitting on my counter.  I need to get it out of the way, so I decided to build a table for it.  I did some sketch up diagrams for something suitable.  The cut out is for the spout area of the water unit.

56b1717d1c1f4_berkleytableview3.thumb.jp

56b171abcf4e4_berkleytableview1.thumb.jp

The legs will be notched to receive the lower shelf.  This is a new technique for me, so I am looking forward to trying it.

56b171e2b00be_berkleytableview2.thumb.jp

I will get a cutlist together soon, and then start amassing materials.  If anyone has suggestions on the design, let me know and I may make some changes.  I may taper the legs, but not sure yet.  All other details ( beading, edge treatment, I always omit on sketchup as I find it too time consuming).

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Pug, which water filter did you get? I watched the video, pretty neat. 

I use the black filters (2) that come with the unit.  I thought about doubling them for faster filtering, but its pretty quick with 2.

The one accessory I would like to have is the spout that indicates water level.

Got started on this project.  Milled up the rough stock to let it sit for the night.  Will mill again tomorrow or the next day, and get ready to glue up the shelf and top.

I broke down the stock before flattening, and used my "bandsaw" again.  This stock is 8/4, so ripping it was a lot of effort!

56b2924859b44_1-rough.jpg.bfe39e7015c9f756b29252c18d8_2-backtothebandsaw.jpg.6a756b2926284163_3-legs.thumb.jpg.f974d923856b2926f08a2b_4-stickered.thumb.jpg.e986

• Like 1

Following steve's suggestion, i tapered the legs.  I think it looks better now.  Now I need to think about how to do the notches.56b29def205e0_berkleytabletaperedlegs.th

I will definitely cut the notches before I taper, and I will need to account for the depth.  Will the shelf be able to go in square, or will it need a bevel?

After doing doing more looking, I also found some tables that have a shelf directly attached to some lower stretchers.  I did a quick sketch, and think this looks kinda cool.  Not sure if its the winner yet, though.56b54ed610194_berkleytableversion5.thumb

Regardless, I need to keep this project moving along.  I decided to glue up the top, and the shelf.  So i finished milling them last night, and then laminated them together. 

IMG_20160204_194614797.jpg.c97474feaa7b8IMG_20160204_194618614.jpg.daff3d87a7eee

Got some more work done on this table in the last few days.

I milled and cut most of the parts to final dimension for the base.  No need to show all this, as I have done so in previous journals.

So the first order of business was to make a taper sled for later (needed to cut mortises first).  I made the sled form 3/4 mdf and a few cut-offs from the legs.  I screwed some toggle clamps on and was set to go.   The leg tapers frop 1" at the bottom to a point about 7" from the top of the leg.

56b92987517ad_8-tapersled.jpg.b9e7fcaf6f

The I cut all the dominoes in the leg blanks.  There are a total of 40 mortises in this piece.  I needed to offset almost all the mortises (depth) to allow for the tenons not to meet in the middle of the leg.

56b929fb9a568_12-legmortises.thumb.jpg.b

Then I cut the tapers with the sled, and did a dry fit to get the measurement of the bottom shelf.

56b92a904372d_9-dryfit1.thumb.jpg.681dfe

I laid out the shelf, and then cut some 5mm dominoes.56b92adaa37c2_14-shelflayout.thumb.jpg.9

I cut one mortise on each side of the shelf extra wide, and will not glue it to the shelf (glued to apron only).  This will allow the shelf to move seasonally without stressing the final piece.

56b92b3f24bf6_10-shelfmovement.thumb.jpg

I decided to use "Z" clips for table top attachment, so now was the time to cut the groove.  I cut a 1/4" groove about 3/8" from the top.

56b92b628fddf_13-Zclip.jpg.613c1fe845c4f

56b92ba08b330_11-groovesforZclips.thumb.

Then I ran a bead along the bottom of the apron.

56b92bc3d1edd_15-addingabead.thumb.jpg.d

I'll take a pic when I get the base out of the clamps.  Up next will be cutting the top to final size, and cutting out the arc.

here is the glued up base - top is next, then some final prep before finish.

56b959a93881f_16-base.thumb.jpg.df08c362

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Great progess! You should be done this one pretty quick!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nothing too complex here, just a simple tapered leg table.  I was playing with the idea of a drawer, but it wouldn't hold very much, so I let it go.  I can always redesign/rebuild if I feel the need for more storage in it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I am quite impressed ! 

I love when a custom piece for a special purpose  ends up looking like someone found an antique that suited the requirements exactly. 

Thank you.  Receiving praise from such a highly respected member of the comminity is very rewarding.

Awesome build so far Pug! I've had a Big Berkey for the last 3 years, it's incredible how well it works. I also added the fluoride and heavy metals filters to it. When I redo my kitchen, I want to do a custom stand for the Berkey with a shelf underneath to hold a cup or pot or whatever I'm filling. 

10 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Looking good pug. Is that cherry?

Thanks!  Yup, its all solid cherry.  Legs came from 8/4, everything else from 4/4.

8 hours ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Awesome build so far Pug! I've had a Big Berkey for the last 3 years, it's incredible how well it works. I also added the fluoride and heavy metals filters to it. When I redo my kitchen, I want to do a custom stand for the Berkey with a shelf underneath to hold a cup or pot or whatever I'm filling. 

That's a good point - i didn't allow for a "stand" for a pot.  The cut out will allow for easy filling, but I still need to hold the container.  Food for thought.