Quick router groove /Dado question

byegge

Hey everyone quick question on cutting Dado or groove with a router. Does the left to right rule still apply. I have done plenty of router work when it comes to edges but only cut grooves on my last project. I went right to left if I can recall. I plan on cutting some groves in the edge of some plywood for a t track for my sled project. I know you guys will have the answers. 

When cutting grooves or dados with the router direction is not that important. What IS important is the position of your fence guide: if your pushing the router (CCW direction), the guide must be on your left; if you're pulling the router (CW direction), the guide must be on your right.

On the other hand, If you're using an edge guide on the right edge, you must push the router; if it's on the left side, you must pull it.

i guess I am an idiot because I find terms like push/pull/right/left confusing because it is all relative to how you are standing :).  I just look at the bit spinning and make sure I don't push it in a direction that will cause the router to run away from me.   

Just now, xxdabroxx said:

Does it really make a difference which side the fence is on if it is a full width single pass groove?  Either way there is a side that is going with and against the cutter right? 

(inexperienced router guy here)

Yes it does. If you do it right, the router wants to stay against the fence.

5 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Pushing away from you vs pulling towards you.

what if you are standing parallel to the router path?  

I am not nit picking at all.  I am sure you are doing it correctly.  Like I said, what works for me is to look at the direction the bit is spinning and my fence/guide placement and make sure I am not turning anything into a rocket launcher.  I find relative terms very confusing.