Yonico router bits

byegge

I bought one of their dovetail bits because it was the only brand I could find in the geometry I wanted.  It worked fine.  Seems comparable to a freud or CMT bit.  But I can not speak to logetivity, I made 20 cuts with it and they all came out  great.  It has been sitting in a drawer since.   

I have a few different Yonico bits (tongue and groove with V detail, and a couple of shaping bits for box sides) and they're okay. I would put them at the level of something like my Vermont American (which I think is made by Bosch now) or Amana bits. I think my Freud bits are better, but that's just because I paid more, not because the Yonico "Yellows" are falling short in any way. That said, I don't use them too much so I can't vouch for longevity either.

• Like 1

When I bought a router table quite a few of those Yonica bits came with it. They seem to cut ok. I wouldn't take heavy cuts with them and if you keep them clean( as soon as any sign of resin shows) you should be ok. 

Just be cautious when you use a bit that costs so little, there has to be a reason the price is low. 

If you have a lot of material to route with a particular bit I would suggest you invest in a quality brand for that profile. I have hundreds of bits and some only get used rarely so I can see the upside to getting so many profiles. Just use caution.

The MLCS bits are decent bits at a fair price....Price Cutter, Grizzly, Woodline are also good.  I approach very cautiously when it comes to low cost router bits...there are some well proven bits that don't cost an arm and a leg...I hesitate to take unnecessary risk with lesser known cheap bits.  Most of my better bits are Whiteside, Infinity, Freud, CMT, Eagle America, or Katana.