Working out problems in the shop,

ncfowler

I don't know about you but, sometimes I need to step back and look at a problem I may run across in the shop, like matching grain, what type of wood to use, or what would be the best way to attack a project,  In stepping back it gives me the ability to see the problem from an different prospective, Most times I will get a fresh cup of coffee, or fire up a cigar and take a break, Play a Cigar box guitars, Most times I will come back to the question at hand with an idea, There are times where conventional methods just don't work, Please chime in let us know how you all decompress,

I am like a lot of the above people, the shop is where I want to be even though in my retirement I don't have a lot to decompress from.  I do run in to challenges in a project and do step away from it but just to stroll over to the shop stool to ponder.  Sometimes if there is another portion of the project I can work on, I will do that.  Sometimes the solution will come while I am on the other part and then sometimes it comes in the middle of the night like Carus said.

Thank for all the replies, like many of you my shop is my place to decompress. this may sound funny, but if I don't have any project under way I will light a fire in the wood stove, pull out some scrap and put in the vise and just use my one of my hand planes and work it down to nothing but a sliver of wood, something about watching the shavings cruel up makes me feel good, At times we all have something perplexing facing us at what we love to do,  how we handle it may differ among each of us, like stated the sound of a plainer, and dust collector, sitting on a stool and pondering, or just watching a wood fire in the stove,

On 2/4/2016 at 9:11 AM, Chestnut said:

This thread is making me never want to grow up. I should just stay 27 forever, my shop problems are probably my biggest problems. Other than not being taken seriously at work but I'm boiling that down to their problem not mine.

At 27, I had 3 kids and a mortgage, plus gotten out of the MC 2 years prior. Funny how 27 can look so different. 

But to the op, yes sometimes I am forced to walk away.  I have a habit of over thinking a possible solution that when it's brought up,  it's usually a palm in face moment. 

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this thread in my work shop and had to comment. Some times doing a Home Improvement project is a good way to stop trying to chase that 1/128". Did some sheet rock work where accuracy is like the nearest 1/2" It gave me a nice mental break. Also fixed some poorly sloped tiles in my shower. It's almost relaxing how much you get to hide with grout and joint compound.

Well back to seeing if i can find that1/128" that i seemed to have lost.