Stand-alone shop build

-MattK-

After a prolonged wait, my new woodshop is going up today.  To help others, I'm happy to share details on the long process that got me here, but in the meantime, I've temporarily made our nest cam in the attic overlooking the site available to the public here: https://video.nest.com/live/hNIhQB  Afterwards I'll put together a video on the assembly.

It's a pre-fab building, so the walls and trusses were assembled offsite.  The crane is expected around noon eastern time if you want to see how it all goes together.

Best,

Matt

• Like 1

Pulled-up the video feed... Nice camera and the video stream is smooth... Is the stream recordable or do you need a separate camera for that? It would be fun as a stop-action... We've got the same weather here, so it'll be a wet day for the crew...

8 minutes ago, hhh said:

Pulled-up the video feed... Nice camera and the video stream is smooth... Is the stream recordable or do you need a separate camera for that? It would be fun as a stop-action... We've got the same weather here, so it'll be a wet day for the crew...

It's a dropcam / nestcam - video is 720p. If you pay a fee they keep 30 days of video (with pointers on the timeline for when movement was detected).  You can download videos compressed into 2 minute time lapses 

I've done a crappy combined time lapse of everything that's happened so far with that camera: 

i also have my DLSR out there taking photos today to get a better quality video...  No rain here for us today, thankfully!

51 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

Looking forward to following this thread and seeing your new shop progress. Congrats and have fun building it. 

Thanks mike, I learned a ton from your build, I've been through that thread quite a few times!!

• Like 2

This is awesome! How deep was the foundation? The scale while he was digging made it look shallow until the workers got down there. I'm pretty sure it's because it's what i do for a living but i enjoy watching construction and can't wait to see more and the completed video.

Are you going to disclose any of the cost information?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Congrats on the new shop!  What are the dimensions?

22x36 outside dimensions with 2x6 walls.  I think it ends up at ~735 sq ft. 

I'm limited to 800 sq ft for an accessory building based on my zoning.  I mistakenly interpreted that as footprint, so the buildings a bit smaller than I could have built.  The perils of trying to figure it all out on your own!

7 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

This is really cool Matt. You've done an awesome job documenting this so far. I will be following every step of this, I would LOVE to do this some day. Being in a brand new 735 sq ft space is a dream to me !!!

And btw, you have one sweet truck !

Thanks Shane!  After years of basement and garage shops, I'm really excited to have a dedicated space.  And my wife is excited to have the garage back for her car!

Were you talking about the black pickup or that amazing truck that delivered the forms for the foundation?  I though that thing was pretty sweet!

Thats going to be a great shop..Like the 2 by 6 walls for lots of insulation..I think I see the roofing on the job and was wondering how far they are going to take the job..Are you lucky enough to have them do the inside work done  or will you be doing some of it yourself?..Cool to see your project Matt.

• Like 1

This is really cool Matt. You've done an awesome job documenting this so far. I will be following every step of this, I would LOVE to do this some day. Being in a brand new 735 sq ft space is a dream to me !!!

And btw, you have one sweet truck !

Thanks Shane!  After years of basement and garage shops, I'm really excited to have a dedicated space.  And my wife is excited to have the garage back for her car!

Were you talking about the black pickup or that amazing truck that delivered the forms for the foundation?  I though that thing was pretty sweet!

No definitely not the form truck. The sweet Toyota Tundra !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Being near Stamford, I was going to guess $80-$90/sq... Let me guess, the Architect approach got you to about $125/sq?

Is HVAC and a bathroom in that number?

How's the town with an outbuilding in front of the main structure? Around here, we'd have to put it out back... Unless you claim it's a garage or carriage house...

Did you pull a permit for a garage, home office, what?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hhh said:

Being near Stamford, I was going to guess $80-$90/sq... Let me guess, the Architect approach got you to about $125/sq?

Is HVAC and a bathroom in that number?

How's the town with an outbuilding in front of the main structure? Around here, we'd have to put it out back... Unless you claim it's a garage or guest house...

Did you pull a permit for a garage, home office, what?

over $200 a square foot!  No plumbing.  Didn't include HVAC.  You can see why I ditched the guy ;-)  It was some combination of

• the architect giving me a Cadillac of a building even when I kept saying "it's just a workshop, it's going to be dusty as hell"
  • the contractor getting busy
  • geographic pricing (gotta love Greenwich CT) and probably "career pricing" (knowing I work in finance)

It was tough to even find an architect.  Out of 5 I spoke with, only 2 were willing to work on the job.

I pulled a permit.  We're in 1 acre zoning, so we can have an 800 sq ft accessory building.  I called it a workshop, but I don't think they care... 

As far as location - it's tricky.  The camera is looking out towards the street that our address is on, but we're really on a private road off that main street (you can see it to the left on the camera).  So as far as the orientation of the house, our front door is to the left.

The only thing that mattered was set-backs.  So there's a 50 foot setback from the edge of the property by the main road and a 25 foot setback from the edge of our property on the left (which is a few feet set-back from the private road we share with our neighbors).  Here's a snippet of the site plan / survey:

56b371eaeb823_surveycapture.thumb.GIF.bd

The crane is here!  If you see someone out there in a bright orange jacket that's me with my "please don't drop a truss on me" outfit

• Like 1

Ahhh, that's right, Riverside is part of Greenwich township... $200/sq would be about right for an Architect job... :)

I can see the limitations from the site plan... I'd have been tempted to off-set it towards the rear deck -- that way you could feign a dip in the pool and sneak-off to the shop...  :)

I see the drainage setup... My parents are in the Old Lyme area, so get the stormwater requirement... Post Sandy town requirements are a bitch... :)

No septic field? No bathroom?

• Like 1

@-MattK- Drainage is becoming a big deal across the country. I live in a very hands off area as far as regulation goes and we have a lot of storm water regulations. The army Corps of Engineers is having to take jurisdiction over more water bodies and it's causing the agencies to look at things a different way. I'm assuming holding of the storm water was not volume related but was quality related?

From my experience most residential zoning doesn't care about what the building is used for. An accessory building is an accessory building as long as it's not used for business. I like the idea of putting a sub-floor over the slab so you can get something other than concrete. It would probably keep the feet warmer during the cold months.

Do you do all electric heat out there or are you piping in natural gas?