LN Rabbeting Block Plane

sheperd80

I need a good rabbeting block plane for use both in the shop and at work as a finish carpenter. I always carry a block plane but a rabbeting plane would be much more useful, and the shoulder plane i have is too narrow for general use.

All i can find to fit my needs is this:

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/block-planes/rabbet-block-plane-w-nicker?node=4072

Can anyone suggest a cheper alternative? Im not opposed to tuning up an old beater but i cant find one anywhere. Even the original Sargent 507 eludes me.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have a Quangsheng rabbetting block plane it is seriously good http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Quangsheng-Low-Angle-Rebating-Block-Plane--Type-3.html.

They go under several brand names in different markets Juuma, Woodriver, Dakota but are all the same. Excellent quality, middle priced and up to now I have had zero issues with it.

I also have Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes.

The Veritas rabbetting block plane is also awesome but like the LN expensive. If you can afford the premium planes go for them if not have a look at Quangsheng.

I have a Woodriver No 6 and its great, they make quality tools. I cant find a rabbeting block plane from them though.

I had looked at the skew planes but something about the skew puts me off. I may try one some day.

The Quangsheng looks great. The description is concerning though. Sounds like its fairly fragile which worries me because this will be in my bags all day. But at 1/3 the cost of the LN id say its worth a try.

Thanks for the link Terry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have the L.N. and I like it. One word of advice is to be careful around the blade. The blade is slightly wider than the plane bed. It's easy to forget that it sticks out a hair, making it dangerous at times. I know first hand :(  You get going and you feel all zen like, then you push the plane just a little to close to the other hand and whoops, were did I put the band aids :o

58 minutes ago, Stephen Prunier said:

I have the L.N. and I like it. One word of advice is to be careful around the blade. The blade is slightly wider than the plane bed. It's easy to forget that it sticks out a hair, making it dangerous at times. I know first hand :(  You get going and you feel all zen like, then you push the plane just a little to close to the other hand and whoops, were did I put the band aids :o

Have the same one and did the same thing last week!  For a small cut it hurt like hell for a few days.

• Like 1