Several Holiday Cutting Boards

osgw380

Nice, Allen! There is a lot of discussion about what type of board is best for cutting. My 'daily driver' is a walnut and mulberry edge-grain laminated board, and it has held up quite admirably. I really like the feel of hardwood end-grain boards, though. Well polished, they feel almost like a granite slab, without the chill.

• Like 1

I like the chaos boards, that's a good idea. I also like the live edge boards, that's make me feel like i was out in the woods cutting up fresh game ready to go on the fire.

I've been doing woodworking for 3 years and i still have yet to make a cutting board. I must be doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice, Allen! There is a lot of discussion about what type of board is best for cutting. My 'daily driver' is a walnut and mulberry edge-grain laminated board, and it has held up quite admirably. I really like the feel of hardwood end-grain boards, though. Well polished, they feel almost like a granite slab, without the chill.

Our daily one is a walnut hickory endgrain and I'm with you they feel like granite. 

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I like the chaos boards, that's a good idea. I also like the live edge boards, that's make me feel like i was out in the woods cutting up fresh game ready to go on the fire.

I've been doing woodworking for 3 years and i still have yet to make a cutting board. I must be doing something wrong.

The chaotic boards are one way or the other it seems.  I like them and the wife hates them so I put my foot down and make them and never bring them in the house.....luckily others seem to appreciate them though.  You must be doing something wrong the cutting board is a right of passage....you better get on that.

31 minutes ago, mat60 said:

They are cool Allen..I bet everyone enjoys your gifts and you sell many boards..

Everyone enjoys them but I can't get family to use them.  I sell a few mostly the live edge type most don't see much the reason for the large price difference of the end grain.  The live edge is easy to do but I like making the end grain your only limited to your imagination on what you can do. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robby W said:

I really like the chaotic boards. How do you do them? Just fit pieces together until they go together?

Was going to ask the same question.  My guess is glue them up square then make a bunch of angled cuts then re-glue offset, lather rinse and repeat.  Either way, seems like a ton of work.  The result looks great though!

3 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

Was going to ask the same question.  My guess is glue them up square then make a bunch of angled cuts then re-glue offset, lather rinse and repeat.  Either way, seems like a ton of work.  The result looks great though!

Basically what I did.  I glued up several boards of scraps into blocks.  I ended up with several blocks.  I then cut them the thickness I wanted the cutting boards and rotated for the endgrain up and reglued.  I then cut them at angles mixed up all the boards from the blocks and reglued.  I did this 3 times.  Then used a router sled and flattened and sanded.  Lot of work but makes good use of scrap and gets rid of alot of scrap at one time.  mtmwood on youtube.....be prepared to be amazed and have several hours for video watching he has a ton of great cutting board videos.