Hose Reel Repair

Robby W

Thought I would pass on a handy source for repair parts. I have three hose reels for my air lines that are about five years old. They have worked well so far, but had gotten really leaky at the swivel joint. I took the joints apart (scaring the heck out of my grandson when I popped one of the air lines open with air still in the tank!), and took one of the O-rings out. I took it to my local auto parts place thinking they would be the best place to get replacements. No luck. They had too big, too small and a bunch of other sizes, but not the right one. In desperation, I went to Home Depot and looked in the plumbing department. They referred me to the fixture repair department and low and behold, there were all kind of replacement O-rings. It turns out that size 209 and 210 fit very nicely, with one being a tiny bit snugger fitting. $2.27 for 10. Ten minutes later, everything was back in business and I was a happy camper. I can now use the air system without listening to hissing and my air compressor turning on every few minutes.

56b3fb67c1c7b_AirHoseReel2-4-16.PNG.9351

Another good place to pick up some  O-rings to keep around the shop is Harbor Freight if you have one close. The one close to me sells a assortment of different sizes 382 pieces for 7.99. I keep a box around the shop for all kinds of different things.......