Will this work

Craig Allen

I am building a couple of cabinets for my garage and was wondering if using wood screws into the end grain of plywood will provide any holding power?  I am building European style and I am using dowels but I do not have clamps big enough to span the length so I was thinking I could use wood screws to help hold things while the glued dowels dry.  The screws won't be seen so it seems like a better, well cheaper option than buying 5' clamps.  The situation again, the side walls of my cabinets will be doweled to the top and bottom and I'm thinking of using wood screws to "clamp" the parts.  Thanks in advance for your help.

If you're using 3/4 ply and 1 1/2+ screws, it'll hold. Like the other guys said just remember to countersink first to avoid the plywood from splitting. Once you put the backs on the cabs, glue or no glue, those cabs aren't going anywhere except on the wall when you hang them.