Leopard Chest

CJC5151

Here is my Blanket Chest I made for my Sister in Laws wedding. The raised panels are made from Leopardwood. This was my first attempt to use a panel bit set. I had to laugh because when I bought the bit it was in sale and I planed on using it to make new cabinet doors in my kitchen using MDF. Well to make along story short my dad stopped by while I was routing the leopardwood panels and he says "only you would practice a new bit on what the hell is that called, Leopardwood" But it turned out all right. The styles, rails, ant top are made from walnut. The inside of the chest is lined with aromatic cedar. So please let me know what you think. I can take the critisism, I value your opinions and it will only make me better thank you.

post-1984-0-04237800-1292475573_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-00188900-1292475644_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-28705300-1292475754_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-95670900-1292475828_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-20845100-1292475940_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-85481500-1292476013_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-42663500-1292476104_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-51412400-1292476183_thumb.jp

post-1984-0-90281400-1292476234_thumb.jp

Very nice. The top is beautiful.

A couple of critiques:

1. I personally am not a huge fan of the combination of those two woods. For whatever reason, the contrast that they have doesn't really work for me. That said, the two woods are pretty spectacular and I do really like the finish you have one the whole thing. Can you give some details on your finishing process?

2. I'm also with Beechwood, the hinges don't really fit with the feel of the whole project.

What did you decide for the legs? One thought I had was to glue the two pieces of the leg together, face to face, to create a solid leg rather than the L shaped leg you have. Mortise the leg for each of the rails and put in a groove for the panels. This will give you the 1/2" that you were looking for.

If you care, and you may not, there is an article in the latest Fine Woodworking (#217) that has an article by Tommy Mac. He has a way to secure the top to the body without using metal hinges. He also does the legs in a way that might be more appealing too you than what I described.

All in all, it's a terrific piece. I'm damned impressed.

Beachwood and JP,

Thanks for the kind words and critisism. The hinges were picked by my sister in law. The material i wasnt thrilled with either but they are pretty neat hinges. They are from rockler and they are rated at 60 lbs, so they dont slam the lid stays were ever you take your hand off the lid. JP I hear ya about the wood combos. When she picked out the combo I didnt think it would work really good together either but my mind changed after the finish. I love the combo now but the piece is sort of "loud" and everyone that sees it either loves it or hates it. The finish couldnt be simpler and was actually a mistake. I planned on doing the whole oil, shelac then a poly. well i put on one coat of oil, then put on a thin coat of shellac. Opps! I bought the wrong shellac, not dewaxed so I just sprayed on 5 more thin coats and it looked great. I would of liked to have more durability with the top coat I bought, maybe next time.

CJ...all in all a nice build. Wood pairing really is a matter of taste. I have a hard time with the orange/burnt orange of lacewood against the much more earth tone browns of the walnut. But, like I said, that is strictly taste. I tend to like tonal variety rather than color variety.

I like the choices you made for the top. The wood there is well matched. I'm a big sucker for the sapwood in Walnut. It can make a piece look good or like crap. You did well, there. I also like stainless incorporated into contemporary pieces, but agree, these hinges are not quite a perfect match, and the style you chose to build in isn't what I would consider contemporary. One other thing on the hinges, is placement. I don't remember where I've seen it written up. Maybe Walker's site. But, I believe they would look better closer together.

Thanks for submitting. I'm hoping some of the professionals will chime in. If you're like me. You eat up the free education.

CJ...all in all a nice build. Wood pairing really is a matter of taste. I have a hard time with the orange/burnt orange of lacewood against the much more earth tone browns of the walnut. But, like I said, that is strictly taste. I tend to like tonal variety rather than color variety.

I like the choices you made for the top. The wood there is well matched. I'm a big sucker for the sapwood in Walnut. It can make a piece look good or like crap. You did well, there. I also like stainless incorporated into contemporary pieces, but agree, these hinges are not quite a perfect match, and the style you chose to build in isn't what I would consider contemporary. One other thing on the hinges, is placement. I don't remember where I've seen it written up. Maybe Walker's site. But, I believe they would look better closer together.

Thanks for submitting. I'm hoping some of the professionals will chime in. If you're like me. You eat up the free education.

Vic

I hear ya about the combo. Like I said earlier it was a wedding present for my wife sister. I took her with me to my local exotic hardwood supplier and told her to pick out two contrasting woods. I didnt tell her what I was making but I wanted to make sure she liked the wood. When she picked these two my first reaction was mixed. I love walnut. (as you said earlier) even the sap wood. But I didnt think I would like the leopardwood with it. But when I put the finish to it I really liked it. Thanks for your comments and kind words. And yes I would love that free education