My first commission - hardware advice needed

Bart

Hello all,

I hope to get my first proper (paid!) commission. It's for a sideboard, custom sized to fit a particular space. 3 doors, 3 drawers - I'll post in the Project Journal section once I start going properly. I've budgeted the whole thing, and stand to make a nice profit which will feed the newer, shinier, better tools cash kitty.

My question is about hardware. I want to use sliders that go underneath the drawers, and have a soft-close feature. I came across www.blum.com hardware, which seems to tick the boxes. Does anyone have experience with the system, or have better suggestions?

• Like 1

Blum all the way. They are the only thing I will use. Make sure you get the little plastic jig and spacers with metric drills. It's a silly thing, and yes you can do them without it. But, it goes by much easier with the correct jig. Much faster, no mistakes, no measuring. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the tandem- something under mounts. They're a good choice, we use them all day long at my shop. The drawer box needs a half inch of clearcance on both sides of the cabinet. If you wanna save a couple of bucks on that jig, after the slides are mounted and the box build ( you have to notch the back of the drawer, for the sliding part).Set the drawer box on the slides and push it back into the cabinet. When you feel some resistance give in a sharp tap. Pull the drawer back out and you'll notice two detents , one on each side from the hooks on the back of the slide. Drill it with 15/64 bit or so about a 1/4" careful not to punch though the back. Then you can make you own jig from some scrap .

eeb183c0f6dd0135f49c69360a160bec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Derek, That's all I've ever used to for that back hole too, but I only build maybe one or two sets of cabinets a year.

For hinges, I like Salice.  I get them from Woodworkers Supply.  They invented the Euro type hinge.  There are plenty of hinges, that might not make as much difference as the drawer runners, but these are my choice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Derek said:

Sounds like the tandem- something under mounts. They're a good choice, we use them all day long at my shop. The drawer box needs a half inch of clearcance on both sides of the cabinet. If you wanna save a couple of bucks on that jig, after the slides are mounted and the box build ( you have to notch the back of the drawer, for the sliding part).Set the drawer box on the slides and push it back into the cabinet. When you feel some resistance give in a sharp tap. Pull the drawer back out and you'll notice two detents , one on each side from the hooks on the back of the slide. Drill it with 15/64 bit or so about a 1/4" careful not to punch though the back. Then you can make you own jig from some scrap .

eeb183c0f6dd0135f49c69360a160bec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the tandem- something under mounts. They're a good choice, we use them all day long at my shop. The drawer box needs a half inch smaller then the inside of the cabinet. If you wanna save a couple of bucks on that jig, after the slides are mounted and the box build ( you have to notch the back of the drawer, for the sliding part).Set the drawer box on the slides and push it back into the cabinet. When you feel some resistance give in a sharp tap. Pull the drawer back out and you'll notice two detents , one on each side from the hooks on the back of the slide. Drill it with 15/64 bit or so about a 1/4" careful not to punch though the back. Then you can make you own jig from some scrap .

I wanted to make a correction in the drawer box size, which I did in italic.