Mysterywood

JosephThomas

Warning: I'm just going to dump a bunch of photos here...stop reading now if this kind of thing annoys you :)  Bought some lumber last week and some of it the guy was calling 'mysterywood' because he didn't know what it was...pics below.

This one is huge... 6/4x15"x11'...the contrast with the sapwood had me thinking cherry initially2zsy6Uj.jpg

OJznaqn.jpg

KNREDwl.jpg

EeBRrk8.jpg

A couple shorter 6/4 boards with some nice figure when I wiped it down...looks and feels like the same species as the first board

R5no0d1.jpg

And 4 of these guys (6/4x4"x10')....they look and feel like all the same species as the above ones as well

I0cZPPX.jpg

I cut the end off one of them and it looked a lot more pink than I expected:

kyySclv.png

This stuff all felt really hard and dense, I was sure it was a hardwood of some kind, but the only thing with that pink color I've ever seen is doug fir. And it feels about 4x more dense than any doug fir I've ever laid hands on.

4AMl0Ju.png

These 2 were advertised as teak (the guy was an old boat captain and had used the stuff to replace and repair in the past). I've never had any teak in the shop, but it felt and smelled like the teak at my local mill:

8HvzCZU.png

This one made me think sapele, but it was a similar color and feel as the ones above, so it might be teak as well:

ngkXEbw.png

These guys were 12' boards..had to cut 6" off the end to even fit it in my shop :( They feel a bit oily like an exotic, but the density is pretty middle of the road.

3qrBmwE.png

YAv7shH.png

And this last guy was an ugly hideous bent to death board with a foot of check on each end...was about to put it in the fire pile and realized it was probably white oak.

ZgMmPFG.png

I cut it into smaller pieces since the bow and twist was way too much for me to even get it to stay on my lumber rack...might still end up firewood at some point, who knows, but it was free.AkRD8oD.png

Was a fun trip just seeing another guy's shop. He had decades of dust and dirt in there..also got some random walnut scraps, a few maple boards, and a couple scraps of zebrawood, and one that might be ironwood. Forgot to take photos of the little scraps, ah well. Time for me to sit back and wait for someone to say "it's all pine"...

The first one looks like some horrible padauk.  The shorter boards you wiped down look like mahogany.  The ones below those look like African mahogany.  At least they have the color of raw African.  Same with the stack of boards with cut ends...my guess is either mahogany or fauxhogany on all of those.

Below that, I think teak is possible...it looks more like Afrormosia to me (African teak...not genuine).

Below that, more fauxhogany.  Below that, I agree those little boards look like sapele.

The last pics, yep, white oak.

Yeah certain padauk boards can look all washed out and nasty like that.  There's one in our yard as I type this.  It has some orange in it...and creams and grays and browns and a whole lot of ugly.

Without better pics I can't say with any degree of certainty.  I just said what my first instincts were.  Quite possibly wrong.

2 hours ago, Derek said:

On the left Sapele, on the right Khaya (African Maghony)31b4aef6233a9a06801b4d20a7ef6b03.jpg

The first pics kinda look like the Khaya, really washed out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look similar to your khaya board there, and all the first 8 or so boards I posted feel like the same species to me, so it's a decent bet.