Snow on the ground in Norm's yard (Season 2 Ep 13))

TerryMcK

On this weeks NYWS www.newyankee.com Norm shows how to build an entertainment center. It is basically an armoire or wardrobe that he makes out of cherry ply with a cherry solid wood face frame and solid raised panel doors. In somewhat of a departure from normal construction methods he shows how to produce doors with a shaper (called a spindle moulder in Europe). His demonstration is very interesting. If you wondered why Don Particleboard was in love with these you can see how easily they can be used to produce joints and panels. However a shaper is probably out of reach for most hobby shops - the basic rig is affordable but building up a selection of tooling will cost a fortune. Production shops though use these all the time.

Norm also nails the heck out of the armoire with various gauges of nails and pins so there is still something familiar.

A view through the New England windows shows a lot of white stuff on the ground and the shop door remains closed.

On the website it is in relatively high quality (week commencing Feb 8th 2016). Below is a link to one recorded by somebody from the TV and uploaded to Youtube at lower quality.

I am a big fan of the shaper too. A friend of mine that is a professional carpenter gave me one. When he gave it to me, he said that it was a router table. I was just starting to build up tools. I had a router and adding a table would have been great. When I saw this shaper, I was a bit surprised.

He gave me some cutters to go with it, so I got a pretty good head start. I have since added a few cutters as well.

It was a very nice addition to my shop. If you have a chance to pick one up, it is definitely good for building cabinets and other heavy cuts that would cause your normal router strain.