Buying Lumber in AZ

jsjsprink

I'm a newbie to woodworking but have heard to stay away from the "Big Box" stores for lumber?  Anyone have suggestions of where to buy lumber in the East Valley?  Looking mainly for table top lumber (1-2 inches thick by 6-8 inches wide by 7-8 inches in length).  Thanks so much for any suggestions!!

Start with "lumber dealer" hardwood dealer" so on in google. Make a list and call them to make sure they sell lumber,  not flooring.  Take a day and drive to them.  Look at stock,  get a price list,  talk to the people there.  Once you know what you have locally,  you will know where you like best. 

Thanks for the replys.  I have been trying to educate myself on the Board Foot pricing terminology as well.  If I'm understanding it correctly a piece of lumber that is approximately 1 inch thick by 6 inches wide and 7 feet long is about 3.5 board feet. So at some lumber pricing being at $7.50 a board foot your looking at $26.00 per board.  Of course I have never bought from a hardwood lumber yard before so maybe that sounds about right.  Thanks again!!

Timber on Southern between Stapley and Mesa drive.  woodworkers source on Elliot near Kyrene.

i tend to buy from Timber unless I need something really exotic. For exotics, I use Woodworkers Source.

Woodcraft is at the corner of Elliot and Arizona Ave (country club exit on the 60).

adam

As others have said, Timber, I have found Woodworker's Source will break the wallet.... Spellman but they usually have minimums, same with McKillican (used to be American Hardwoods) and Superior Hardwoods. If you are buying 100BF or more, they will usually deal with you, below that, it gets a little iffy....