Festool Track Saw

Pwk5017

I have to clean up the edges of my current island project(see general section for the other thread). I have the standard 75" track to accompany my TS75. I am attempting to clean up a 68" length, which obviously does not leave me with much in the way of additional track for runway and takeoff. I haven't used the saw that much in the month I have owned it, but is there a reason why I cant start my cut with the saw full seated and plunge into the piece? Is this bad for the saw? I can see the potential for a bit of kickback/jolting, but any reason why I cant complete the cut this way? Alternatively, I can make the cut in two passes with the potential for a bit of sanding at the transition point.

Safe to proceed, or is there a better way to go about this? I don't particularly want to buy another track, because I plan on grabbing an MFT3 in the near future. If anything, I would buy the 100"+ rail, but I would like to avoid the expense if I can.

Use the included limit stop.  See pic below if you don't know what I'm talking about.  Butt the saw up against it and then make your plunge cut.  You didn't say what thickness.  Only time I have ever had it kick back (and unfortunately this was before I started using the limit stop) was on some 10/4 stock.  I still have a reminder on my track of the incident.  Also I have the front of the blade slightly toe in.  Not much.

FS-491582_big.gif

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

The saw is designed to be able to plunge into wood safely. Shouldn't be an issue. I have made many 48" cuts with my 55" track because my 3000 track is too long for that and im not buying a third track.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

What? Shane not wanting to buy festool accessories?!  Say it ain't so!

The saw is designed to be able to plunge into wood safely. Shouldn't be an issue. I have made many 48" cuts with my 55" track because my 3000 track is too long for that and im not buying a third track.

What? Shane not wanting to buy festool accessories?!  Say it ain't so!

Haha! Festool is so passé. Mels got me on to BCTW now.

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

Maybe I am missing something but isnt the entire point of a plunge saw to.... plunge? 

Haha we are on the same page, Mike, but I didn't know if I was being a fool for plunging into 2.25" hardwood like that. I've experienced some kickback when I started the saw plunge too close to my cut, and that was minimal compared to what I intend to do. Sounds like jussi wrecked his saw by doing what I planned to do, so maybe my initial doubts were on to something? i might take the cut in 2 passes. The saw visibly perspires when it cuts anything over 2".