Little Lipper (cool router accessory)

AstroDave

Hmmm, combination fence and handle. Interesting, but seems like an invitation to forget your fingers are only an inch or two from the spinning cutter. And seems to offer no benefit if used vertically.

I try to look at anything from FastCap with a critical eye. The "Fast" in fastcap seems to mean fast to market. Their stuff isn't necessarily well-proven.

• Like 1

Yeah this seems pointless and unsafe to me.

I completely disagree with Twistedcowboy. If you fear your tools then youre more likely to hurt yourself. Youve gotta respect a dangerous tool, but if youre afraid of it put it away.

Those little plastic laminate trimmers are cheap and work great.

174bfd91dca853ac299897833ae2d429.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sheperd80 said:

I completely disagree with Twistedcowboy. If you fear your tools then youre more likely to hurt yourself. Youve gotta respect a dangerous tool, but if youre afraid of it put it away.

Woodcraft has them on sale for 9.99 this month. 

Whatever dude. If you're not afraid of a spinning table saw blade, I don't ever want to be in your shop.

1 hour ago, Twistedcowboy said:

Whatever dude. If you're not afraid of a spinning table saw blade, I don't ever want to be in your shop.

I think it is an issue of semantics.  I am not afraid of my tools.   I do respect them and understand the dangers.   

2 hours ago, Twistedcowboy said:

I get ya. Afraid with regard to respect that it only takes a split second to do something foolish and get seriously hurt...not afraid that every time you use it you think it will grab your hand and chew it off. You'd be a trembling basket case if it was the latter. lol

I've learned the best safety precaution is your brain. You know if your about to do something risky to take a step back and look for a better or safer way. 

Hi my name is Allen Miesner and I am the designer and creator of the Little Lipper. I have been making furniture full time for over 40 years now and have been using variations of the Lipper for around 10 years. The Lipper has been very useful in my work and I always thought it would be a great product which is why I contacted FastCap.

I can see how the Lipper can be perceived to have safety issues but in usage it feels very comfortable to me. The Lipper is 8” long and your hand is a safe distance from the flush cut bit. The force of your hand on the Lipper is directed parallel to the cut and not towards the cutting bit. The combined length of the Lipper and the router gives the user a great deal of leverage and you are also using two hands so you have added control.

I would recommend the Lipper be used with a laminate trimmer since they are smaller and easier to handle, I use a Bosch with a 1/2” bit and usually have that setup as a dedicated router. There are times when the weight of a larger router is helpful but it is usually not needed.

The Little Lipper extremely versatile and will give you a perfectly flush cut on flat, concave and convex surfaces. Other than the cutter depth the trimmer requires no adjustment. The router rotates around the Lipper and once the Lipper is placed on the surface to be trimmed the router is lowered to engage the cut. The cutting depth can be controlled so you don't have to make the full cut in one pass. The added leverage provided by the Lipper is especially useful when you have to cut downhill to prevent chip out when trimming figured woods. 

We tried to keep the tool as simple, functional and affordable as possible. We are open to making improvements and welcome your comments. Good luck with your routing projects.

Great site by the way, I have never been here before but it looks like a there is an enormous amount of information here.

Thanks,

Allen Miesner

miesner.com

38 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I might try one. If I can figure out how to add a shield / dust collector to the router it would be ideal .

Does the Little Lipper fit on Festool's  MFK 700 trim router ?

I am not that familiar with the Festool router. You need room to drill a 1/4" hole in the base to mount the Lipper, I would imagine there is space for that.